Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Weird Java editor behaviour
Weird Java editor behaviour [message #1798037] Sun, 11 November 2018 14:58 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello everyone,

I'm using Eclipse for years now to develop Java applications. I don't know why, but the following has happened to me several times within the java source editor:

1) Select some source code text with your mouse
2) Press CTRL+C (or CTRL+X doesn't matter)
3) Select another position in the text
4) Press CTRL+V

... and the really strange thing is that upon pressing CTRL+V, the editor jumps to the declaration (!) of the type of the variable closest to the insert position and inserts the text THERE. I don't know if that is a bug or just my stupidity, but I'm *absolutely* sure that "go to definition" is mapped to the F3-Key on my keyboard, which is impossible to touch by accident. Happened to me on Gallileo, Helios, Indigo and now Juno, both on Windows and Linux, on different machines.

Does someone has any explanation what causes this unwanted "go to definition" behaviour when copy-pasting text around (and more importantly: how to fix this)? Maybe it's some hot key sequence that I don't know or mouse gesture or... you name it ^_^'

Thanks,

[Updated on: Mon, 19 November 2018 21:25] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Weird Java editor behaviour [message #1798039 is a reply to message #1798037] Sun, 11 November 2018 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

At last. Someone else. I reported this many years ago, but it was dismissed as my magic fingers. I've seen it on both Dell and Acer Windows keyboards.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Weird Java editor behaviour [message #1798108 is a reply to message #1798039] Mon, 12 November 2018 15:20 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

My original report in January 2005 was https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=82904 against Eclipse 3.1M4 bit NOT 3.1M2.

Can you confirm that you are seeing essentially the same problem.

This kind of intermittent problem can be very difficult to fix and might not be a platform/JDT problem at all. Perhaps some other project contributes a bad short cut.

Can you please list the initial Eclipse installation and additional projects that you have in your configuration. The 13 year vintage of the problem eliminates many suspects, including e4.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:Eclipse Photon ( for Java EE) stuck at starting up
Next Topic:Invalid Property Category Path Erro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:00:57 GMT 2024