Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debug startup tab for STM32
Debug startup tab for STM32 [message #1797060] Wed, 24 October 2018 15:22 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I have tried placing
reset init
in the Initialization Command window to no avail and I even get double faults, probably from a stack pointer with an illegal value.

I've also tried instructions like
monitor reset initAkinator Xender Kik

but I get a 'child count update' internal error.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2018 19:59] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debug startup tab for STM32 [message #1797066 is a reply to message #1797060] Wed, 24 October 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You have given far too few details, but I'll guess ...

The debug command chain for STM32 usually goes:
- Eclipse to GDB (MI2 interface)
- GDB to OpenOCD (tcp/3333)
- OpenOCD to JTAG dongle (USB)
- dongle to target (JTAG)

GDB is the GNU debugger, and it has to be a cross debugger targeted to Cortex-M4. There are at least two configurations in binary distribution: arm-none-eabi-gdb and gdb-multiarch. The multiarch version needs a command: set architecture arm.

Openocd needs a configuration file to match your hardware, and the commands you have attempted to use belong to the configuration file.

The way to debug your situation goes from first checking that the low-level connection from OpenOCD to your target is working, and that the configuration file is correct. OpenOCD manual describes how. OpenOCD can be controlled from a Telnet terminal connecting to the computer OpenOCD is running on, port 4444, usually localhost 4444.

The next step is to check from the GDB command line that you can communicate with GDB and OpenOCD (target remote :3333).

As the last step, try again with Eclipse.

For more detais on intermediate steps, see OpenOCD and GDB documentation.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Debug startup tab for STM32 [message #1798492 is a reply to message #1797066] Mon, 19 November 2018 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert Lange is currently offline Norbert LangeFriend
In case you use the onboard st-link chip as debugger, I would highly recommend flashing it to J-Link OB and using a fitting plugin like the ones from GNU MCU Eclipse.
Its alot less messy and better supported than st-link
Re: Debug startup tab for STM32 [message #1798785 is a reply to message #1797060] Sat, 24 November 2018 19:33 Go to previous message
robert olitto is currently offline robert olittoFriend
Eclipse User wrote on Wed, 24 October 2018 15:22
I have tried placing
reset init
in the Initialization Command window to no avail and I even get double faults, probably from a stack pointer with an illegal value.

but I get a 'child count update' internal error.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

GDB is the GNU debugger, and it has to be a cross debugger targeted to Cortex-M4. There are at least two configurations in binary distribution: arm-none-eabi-gdb and gdb-multiarch. The multiarch version needs a command: set architecture arm.
Previous Topic:Zoom out to Outline
Next Topic:AmigaOS4 includes files uncorrectly handled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:27:45 GMT 2024