Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can Eclipse understand tab characters?
Can Eclipse understand tab characters? [message #1796603] Tue, 16 October 2018 12:46 Go to next message
Fabrizio Caruso is currently offline Fabrizio CarusoFriend
Hi

I have tried to get Eclipse (with Python package) to understand tab as "tabulation", i.e., their original/historical/Python2.7 meaning:
tab char = tabulation = move to the next 8th column (no matter how many spaces or other characters are present to the left).

The original meaning of moving to then next 8th column is what Python 2.7 understands and it is necessary to see correct indentation for (badly written) code that mixes spaces and tabs.
For example:
<space><space><tab>=8 times <space> = <tab>

Eclipse seems to only be able to replace tabs with spaces and vice versa but I could no find any option to have Eclipse interpret the tab character as tabulation. Replacing a tab with a fixed number of spaces is going to break things even more.

Is there a solution?

Fabrizio

Re: Can Eclipse understand tab characters? [message #1796656 is a reply to message #1796603] Wed, 17 October 2018 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's likely better to ask using the resources available at http://www.pydev.org/ given that those folks provide the implementation to support Python.
Re: Can Eclipse understand tab characters? [message #1796983 is a reply to message #1796656] Tue, 23 October 2018 14:27 Go to previous message
Fabrizio Caruso is currently offline Fabrizio CarusoFriend
My question is also about Eclipse in general even if it is about an essential Python 2.7 feature.

Can Eclipse (no matter which plugin is used) understand tab characters with their original meaning (= tabulation = move to the next 8th column) ?

There seems to be no option in Eclipse to force tab characters to be displayed as tab (move cursor to the next 8th column no matter which current column).
Previous Topic:'Atom' IDE Key Scheme
Next Topic:Which one to download? (Yes, it's probably a stupid question)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Nov 13 18:52:03 GMT 2018