Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Tomcat Could not determine work directory for module(Immediately after install, Eclipse error starting/cleaning tomcat 8.5)
Tomcat Could not determine work directory for module [message #1796542] Mon, 15 October 2018 22:57 Go to next message
Jerry Malcolm is currently offline Jerry MalcolmFriend
I have been running and developing on Tomcat for years. I decided to integrate with Eclipse today. I downloaded the latest (I assume) version of Eclipse and installed it. I already have Tomcat 8.5 up and running on the machine (BTW... Windows10).

Per tutorial instructions, I did 'Run-->Debug Applications-->Remote Java Application-->New Configuration. I took default localhost:8000.

I then went to Servers and clicked to create a new Server. I selected Tomcat v8.5 Server at localhost, selected the installation folder of s:\Tomcat8.5 and saved it.

When I try to start the server, I get "Could not determine work directory for module". I couldn't find much info in google on this msg. When I try to start the server, I get "Could not publish server configuration: null." There's a bit more info on this msg in google. But none seemed to apply to my situation. I suspect the NPE is due to the first msg that it can't determine the work directory. But that still doesn't help much.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. But with only two steps after installing... taking all the defaults, it doesn't give me much that I could change.

I'm a fairly seasoned debugger. But I need something to start with. Which work directory is it looking for.... Tomcat's work directory or Eclipse? Where is it supposed to be? Where is the value stored that's it's looking for? And why can't it find it? Was I supposed to create it in some earlier step?

Please point me in the right direction.

Thx

Jerry
Re: Tomcat Could not determine work directory for module [message #1796549 is a reply to message #1796542] Tue, 16 October 2018 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What version does the splash screen identify it as? What tutorial are you following (Remote Java Application sounds wrong, it should be Run/Debug on Server)?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Tomcat Could not determine work directory for module [message #1796550 is a reply to message #1796549] Tue, 16 October 2018 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Nitin, Thanks for the quick reply. The splash screen says Eclipse Jee 2018-2019. As far as which tutorial, I spent several hours googling and looking for things that looked vaguely like what was on the screen. Maybe I overlooked it. But I couldn't find an 'official' startup tutorial. The tutorial I finally ended up on was https://help.eclipse.org/neon/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.stardust.docs.wst%2Fhtml%2Fwst-integration%2Fconfiguration.html. This obviously was not the right one. It also talked about setting up and audit trail db, which doesn't appear on my installation.

I guess the simplest question at this point is where the correct tutorial is that I should be following to get me up and running with the version I have installed.

Thanks again.

Jerry
Re: Tomcat Could not determine work directory for module [message #1796551 is a reply to message #1796550] Tue, 16 October 2018 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correction... the "Jee" was not on the splash screen. The "Jee" was only on program name under the icon on the desktop. The rest of the name "Eclipse 2018-19" was on the splash screen.
Re: Tomcat Could not determine work directory for module [message #1796654 is a reply to message #1796551] Tue, 16 October 2018 22:51 Go to previous message
Success... at least a little bit... But the answer brings up more questions.....

My Tomcat configuration has several virtual hosts, call them aaaaa.com, bbbbb.com, etc. I do not have a 'localhost' virtual server defined. When I created and configured a new 'server' in Eclipse, the default was Tomcat 9.0 at localhost. Well.... Tomcat itself is running at localhost, and localhost:8000 is the port for Eclipse to talk to Tomcat, right? I figured that was what it was asking about. But no... it's asking for one of the virtual host names. Since I didn't have a 'localhost' virtual host defined it couldn't find the work directory in Tomcat for localhost. It was not clear that I needed to change the server to be Tomcat 9.0 at aaaaa.com.

But that now begs the bigger question.... as I said I have Tomcat running several virtual hosts. But I have to pick only one the virtual servers for Eclipse to use? I defined aaaaa.com as an eclipse server and it started. I figured I must need to define a bbbbb.com server in eclipse. But when I tried to start it, it gave me errors that all the ports were in use (as expected since the 'first' tomcat was already running).

I can't find much info at all on how to use virtual hosts inside Eclipse. Can I only debug one virtual host at a time?

Also, I am not using eclipse to deploy anything. I already have a build/deploy process in place. I just want to be able to set breakpoints in Eclipse. Are there a bunch more gotcha's ahead for me?
Previous Topic:Tomcat - Persistent Object
Next Topic:Info on bottom "status" bar ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:16:25 GMT 2024