Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Photon update gone after restart
Eclipse Photon update gone after restart [message #1795941] Tue, 02 October 2018 15:25 Go to next message
Mathias Larsson is currently offline Mathias LarssonFriend
On a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo)

I've downloaded the Exlipse Photon installer from eclipse.org/downloads.

After installation I launch eclipde from command line in the install directory (~/eclipse/java-photon4/eclipse]).

The splash screen says version "June 2018"

I select Help -> Check for updates

First time no updates are found
I click the link to the update sites in the dialog, and tick the latest release box.

Now some update packages are found. I select all available packages, and accept the license agreement.

The updates are installed and I click yes at the restart question.

Now the splash screen shows version "2018-09"

I click yes to the update workspace question.

After restart a dialog shows two more recommended updates, I accept to install those as well.

When the installation finishes, I close eclipse.

When I start it again from command line, in the installation directory (by pressing up-arrow + enter) the splash screen shows "June 2018" and a warning that I'm about to open a workspace created in a later version is displayed.

I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Eclipse Photon update gone after restart [message #1795962 is a reply to message #1795941] Wed, 03 October 2018 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
re: After restart a dialog shows two more recommended updates,...

If you originally used the installer to install photon, the installation it creates tries to always be photon. If you update it manually, it will come up with a (confusing) dialog that effectively says it's no longer photon and gives you the option to downgrade it to photon, which you can tell it to Skip and Remember so it never checks again and never tried to downgrade it again. We should improve the dialog, including providing the option to modify the installation so that it knows it's supposed to be 2018-09 and not Photon anymore.

Note that the installer you download is a so-called crippled install. The full uncrippled installer lets you choose the version you want to install, which versions such as latest and latest-released, where these two versions are moving targets. I.e., as soon as there is a 2018-12 milestone build, the latest will become that version and will automatically update when you restart. The latest-released version, as the name suggests is also a moving target and will change to the new release as soon as there is a new release so that you automatically update as releases become available...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Photon update gone after restart [message #1795989 is a reply to message #1795962] Wed, 03 October 2018 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mathias Larsson is currently offline Mathias LarssonFriend
OK. Thanks.

Where do I find the uncrippled installer?
Re: Eclipse Photon update gone after restart [message #1796011 is a reply to message #1795989] Thu, 04 October 2018 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer

Also note that once you update the installer you have, it becomes uncrippled.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Photon update gone after restart [message #1796342 is a reply to message #1796011] Thu, 11 October 2018 08:46 Go to previous message
Ian Gregg is currently offline Ian GreggFriend
Similar
I just upgraded from Oxygen to 2018-09 and saw the 2018-09 splash after a restart but my desktop shortcut still starts Oxygen and I can't find the directory containing 2018-09 on my hard disk???
Previous Topic:Mac OS Debugger Issues
Next Topic:Strange "Expected Expression" error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:41:39 GMT 2024