Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » More questions and feedback about Papyrus 4!!
More questions and feedback about Papyrus 4!! [message #1793634] Mon, 13 August 2018 01:08 Go to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend

1. I don't think the new 'New project' wizard makes sense. It asks you to choose between 2 perspectives: analysis and design, and restricts the elements and diagrams available based on your choice. Who is to say what element/diagram is analysis and what is design? That is an arbitrary decision. The most common choices are conceptual, logical, physical level: I would welcome a menu choice of that kind. But is there anything in the UML standard about these choices? I have to always choose both at new project and I suggest to eliminate this menu.

2. In sequence diagram Properties view - Appearance there is a tab called "Advance" (spelling?) that lets you choose the type of arrow ending for messages. I think this capability is against the UML standard because type of arrow is determined by message type and should not be changeable without changing the message?

Some questions:

3. Is there a way to show the element type (metaclass) in tables? So that when I export to Excel I can sort all rows by element (all use cases; all actors; all classes etc.)

4. I can import elements but not their associated comments via generic table. I think maybe it's because element, comment and their body must be imported as separate columns?? + maybe a column to specify which element owns which comment? If anyone knows of a how-to or explanation of how to import comments please share!

5. I cannot hide the grid for new diagrams in project Properties menu - I have to do it manually using the Properties view in each new diagram. Is this a bug - and if yes, does anyone know the CSS to hide the grid?

A suggestion:

6. Component diagram has a compartment to show structure (properties) but no compartment that lists its structure elements in text form, like for example classes where the attributes and operations compartments just show a list. It would be helpful to add such a compartment to Components so the diagram can show properties without having to show the whole structure (clutter)

Thanks!
Re: More questions and feedback about Papyrus 4!! [message #1793642 is a reply to message #1793634] Mon, 13 August 2018 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Richard,

Here's some feedback,

2) The 'Advance' tab is optional and hidden by default. It exists precisely to support some non-standard style customization (Mostly targeting custom DSML tooling)

4) There is no direct relationship between an Element and its Comment(s) body, so that would require a custom table. You'd have to make some decisions such as: do you consider applied comments? Owned comments? Both? Documentation Comments? (Documentation being a non-standard Papyrus profile to identify Documentation-related comments)

5) In the Papyrus preferences, in Diagrams, you can uncheck "Show grid for new diagrams" and "Snap to grid for new diagrams". This doesn't affect existing diagrams though. For existing diagrams, you'd have to disable these values from the properties view, on each existing diagram.

In GMF, the Grid/Snap-to-grid is a workspace-specific option, that is intended to be user-specific (Because it should only affect the way you create new elements in the diagram; not the way diagrams are rendered). But then it makes distributed work on a single diagram very difficult (If each user has its own grid size, or if some use the grid while some don't). So this setting has been persisted to the diagram. This probably can't work with CSS because the style-property defining the grid elements uses forbidden characters (So I guess it was not intended to work with CSS, or maybe not considered)

Camille Letavernier
Re: More questions and feedback about Papyrus 4!! [message #1793659 is a reply to message #1793642] Mon, 13 August 2018 12:07 Go to previous message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Camille, thanks again for informative response as always!
Previous Topic:Papyrus 4.0 sequence diagram: CSS to hide datatype from messages?
Next Topic:Class Diagram: Hiding "Member End Name" of an association
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:14:18 GMT 2024