Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment
[Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1792193] Thu, 12 July 2018 13:00 Go to next message
Kai Biermeier is currently offline Kai BiermeierFriend
Hi!
As illustrated below i cannot move Messages below Combined Fragments in the Modelexplorer. I'm interested in whether this is intentended behavior or a bug in newer Papyrus versions. In Neon this is possible, but in Oxygen and newer it is not. If this is intended behavior it would be nice if you could explain why this is intentended.
kind regards
Kai

PS: An image and a small example project is also attached
index.php/fa/33378/0/
  • Attachment: forumpost.PNG
    (Size: 45.35KB, Downloaded 1175 times)
  • Attachment: test.zip
    (Size: 2.69KB, Downloaded 101 times)
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1792354 is a reply to message #1792193] Mon, 16 July 2018 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tessier is currently offline Patrick TessierFriend
Hi,
Excuse-me I do not udestand your problem. Could you give me more explanation? events are not only before the position of the message Messages?

Nevertheless I explain the paradigm to manipulate element in the sequence diagram.

The representation of the sequence diagram compute the owner and place of the element in the model explorer. This means avoid mistakes ( between , fragments coveredBy features).

The combined fragment is like a layer that you can move, with a mecasnism of validation. This manner, we avoid problems of position od combined fragment that can make the user crazy.

Papayrus team
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1792424 is a reply to message #1792354] Tue, 17 July 2018 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Biermeier is currently offline Kai BiermeierFriend
Hi!
Thanks for your answer. My problem is that there seems to be a validation Mechanism
that forces me to put messages (or more formal MessageOccurenceSpecification) always above in Relation to a Combined Fragments.
Combined Fragments seems to be grouped at the Bottom of the modelexplorer list. I can try to move Messages in the Diagram and in the modelexplorer, they will move back in the modelexplorer.
An example usecase is a condition in the mid of Execution. You have Messages before and After the Fragment with such Condition. The Messages after the condition-Fragment will move above it (or before it when you think in execution semantics) in the modelexplorer.
This is problematic for my application because i use .uml file to execute the Diagram and I need Fragments between messages (in the execution order which is represented by the modelexplorer). I think this is a bit complex explaination, but i hope its helpful to understand my problem.
kind regards
Kai

PS: in the uml (tree-based)editor i can move These Elements in the order i would like to have them. But papyrus move them "back" if i save the diagram again.
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1792425 is a reply to message #1792193] Tue, 17 July 2018 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joerg Holtmann is currently offline Joerg HoltmannFriend
Hi Patrick,

the exact problem is that we (I'm working together with Kai) did not figure out how to move the combined fragment between the message occurrence specifications of the particular messages (or in the attached model, preceding to "Message8"). In older Papyrus releases (until Neon), one could do this (or finetune this) through the model explorer.

If it's now intended to be done purely through the diagrammatical representation, it does not seem to work or we do something wrong. In the text representation of the .uml file, the message occurrence specifications are always preceding to the combined fragment. Or to be more precise, combined fragments seem to be stored in the ordered Interaction element list always after the message occurrence specifications.

If one uses only the editor of the UML2 framework, you can freely move the combined fragment in the model explorer list. In this case, also the textual representation of the .uml file shows a changed order of the Interaction elements, so that the combined fragment also can be stored preceding to the message occurrence specifications (or inbetween).

Kind regards,
Joerg Holtmann
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1793106 is a reply to message #1792193] Tue, 31 July 2018 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Schmelter is currently offline David SchmelterFriend
Hi all,

I am also affected by the issue and I can reproduce it on phonton master. It seems the order of message occurence specifications of async messages is not persisted correctly in the underlying uml model when moving async message below combined fragments.

Lets have a look at the following example:
index.php/fa/33541/0/

The underlying uml model looks like the following:
index.php/fa/33542/0/

No lets move 'Message1' below the combined fragment via the graphical editor as follows:
index.php/fa/33543/0/

The underlying uml model does not change, I would have expected that the combined fragment is placed before the message occurence specifications of Message1 though:
index.php/fa/33544/0/

I do not see a way how to get the correct order of messages when working with the uml model only? Are we missing something here?

Kind regards,
David
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1793422 is a reply to message #1793106] Wed, 08 August 2018 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
What is wrong with the model explorer picture you shared? Seems fine with me, what would you gain by changing the order of elements?
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1794431 is a reply to message #1793422] Thu, 30 August 2018 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Richard,

thanks for your reply and sorry for my late answer.

As far as I understand the UML metamodel, interactions (in our example: 'Interaction1') hold an ordered list named 'fragments' with elements of type InteractionFragment. InteractionFragments can be MessageOccurenceSpecifications (e.g., 'Message1SendEvent') or CombinedFragments (e.g., 'CombinedFragment6'), among others. Hence, I would expect to get the correct partial order of InteractionFragments from the uml model by iterating this list.

If you now take a look at the model explorer, the partial order in the uml model ('CombinedFragment6' after 'Message1SendEvent') differs from the partial order in the sequence diagram ('CombinedFragment6' before 'Message1SendEvent').

Kind regards,
David
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1794464 is a reply to message #1794431] Fri, 31 August 2018 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
My understanding is that you are making the wrong assumption that the model explorer view should act a little like the diagram view and show you the sequence of elements in the same order as the diagram . I don't think the model explorer is supposed to (or even capable to) do that. Model view just shows a list of the elements and a limited set of their metadata (properties view shows a little more metadata). That's it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Re: [Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment [message #1794508 is a reply to message #1794464] Fri, 31 August 2018 15:09 Go to previous message
Dear Richard,

in the end my assumption is that I can derive the partial order of InteractionFragments from the underlying uml model, independently from the used modeling tool / concrete syntax / graphical representation. This is important since we want interpret the created uml model in a simulation environment.

However, if I move the combined fragment above or below 'Message1' in the graphical Papyrus Sequence Editor, this change in the partial order is not reflected in the uml model (note: as far as I understand, the model explorer is more or less a direct view of the uml model):
EDIT: to be clear here, the following screenshot shows the uml tree editor opened beside the Papyrus editor - not the model explorer view
index.php/fa/33794/0/

Moreover, if I close the Papyrus editor, try to fix the partial order in the uml tree editor (this actually works as expected), and re-open the model again in Papyrus, Papyrus will move the combined fragment below the MessageOccurrenceSpecifications again. Papyrus on Neon did not show this behavior.

If my assumption above is incorrect, how would I get the partial order that I modeled in the graphical representation from the plain uml model?

Many thanks for your help and best regards,
David

[Updated on: Fri, 31 August 2018 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Papyrus at the Open Group Beijing event Aug. 22!
Next Topic:Composite diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:16:28 GMT 2024