Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found
Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791100] Fri, 22 June 2018 20:04 Go to next message
Michael Pape is currently offline Michael PapeFriend
I'm on a windows 10 machine with Java 1.8 installed.
When extracting and recomposing the installer (following the steps here), the installer does not seem to find java, and opens the according website as if Java isn't installed. I can run the eclipse-inst just fine when I don't recompose the installer. I have no idea how to solve this problem. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791571 is a reply to message #1791100] Mon, 02 July 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Did you mess up the descriptor somehow? If you decompose and recompose without any changes, does that work. If you decompose your result, do all the parts come out identical to what you expect?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791624 is a reply to message #1791571] Tue, 03 July 2018 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I originally extracted and recomposed without any changes. I just downloaded a fresh copy of eclipse-inst-win64.exe and did the following:

C:\tmp>java -classpath "C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib_1.3.0.v20161116-0647.jar" "org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib.BINExtractor" eclipse-inst-win64.exe eclipse_installer\product.zip -export eclipse_installer\marker.txt eclipse_installer\extractor.exe eclipse_installer\org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib.jar eclipse_installer\product-descriptor

C:\tmp>cd eclipse_installer

C:\tmp\eclipse_installer>COPY /B extractor.exe + ^
Mehr?    marker.txt +  ^
Mehr?    extractorlib.jar + ^
Mehr?    marker.txt +  ^
Mehr?    product-descriptor + ^
Mehr?    marker.txt +  ^
Mehr?    product.zip + ^
Mehr?    marker.txt  ^
Mehr?    eclipse-inst-64.exe
extractor.exe
marker.txt
marker.txt
product-descriptor
marker.txt
product.zip
marker.txt
        1 Datei(en) kopiert.

Usually I'd create a bat-file for recomposing, but did it without just to show what I did. The result is the same. When I run the original installer it works, when I run the recomposed installer it opens this site in my browser.

I extracted the recomposed file again, using the follwoing command:

C:\tmp\eclipse_installer>java -classpath "C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib_1.3.0.v20161116-0647.jar" "org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib.BINExtractor" eclipse-inst-64.exe eclipse_installer\product.zip -export eclipse_installer\marker.txt eclipse_installer\extractor.exe eclipse_installer\org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib.jar eclipse_installer\product-descriptor

I compared marker.txt and product-desciptor, and the were identical. I attached the product-descriptor like it was extracted originally.
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791626 is a reply to message #1791624] Tue, 03 July 2018 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any bytes different in the recomposed result compared to the original? They should of course be byte identical. But apparently something must be different. Note that we followed exactly these steps to produce the installer used on the Photon download page (adding some options to the eclipse_inst.ini).

Ed Merks
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791634 is a reply to message #1791626] Tue, 03 July 2018 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are not byte identical. I don't know why though. What I just figured is that the original seems to be signed, while the recomposed file is not.

Edit: Which is behaviour I'd expect, given that otherwise any changes would invalidate the signature.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 July 2018 08:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791646 is a reply to message #1791634] Tue, 03 July 2018 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, that's a good point. We do need to resign the recomposed result. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain the problem you see. I know others are successfully recomposing... I just don't have time right now to try it locally myself. Perhaps open a Bugzilla to remind me...

Ed Merks
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1791654 is a reply to message #1791646] Tue, 03 July 2018 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I opened a new bug. Thanks for your help!
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1793093 is a reply to message #1791646] Tue, 31 July 2018 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you had any chance to look into it? Just saw that the bug is unconfirmed still. Thanks :)
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1793109 is a reply to message #1793093] Tue, 31 July 2018 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, sorry I'm really way beyond too busy on way too many things.

Ed Merks
Re: Extract and recompose windows installer - Java not found [message #1799629 is a reply to message #1793109] Tue, 11 December 2018 15:13 Go to previous message
Vsevolod Kalinin is currently offline Vsevolod KalininFriend
Hi! Just faced the same problem at Win10 (not sure how do I specify the version of installer, but it has org.eclipse.oomph.setup.installer_1.11.0.v20181203-1802 feature, which should be totally unrelated - see below).
So, long story short noticed that recomposition script is skipping extractorlib.jar and the reson is it's now called org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib.jar. I.e. just replace extractorlib.jar with org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib.jar in your recomilation script - and it'll work! Will post the same thing to the bug right away.
ps: still the error is totally misleading, so it maybe makes sense to open another minor bug for that...
Previous Topic:Install requirements on startup "Always" not working
Next Topic:Variable value and default value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:58:32 GMT 2024