Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » how to add python perspective in rcp(extend an rcp appliaction with pydev perspective full funcionality)
how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790640] Wed, 13 June 2018 19:22 Go to next message
Esteban Avila is currently offline Esteban AvilaFriend
Hi to all, i am working with eclipse oxygen, i download pydev 6.3.2 and this was added to eclipse.

Now i want add Pydev in my custom rcp application, i read vogella book but i can't figure out how do this.

If anyone have the tip of the iceberg where i can start i will be thankful.

Thank you very much.

Regards.
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790689 is a reply to message #1790640] Thu, 14 June 2018 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I'm not intimately familiar with the structure of PyDev, but I'm pretty sure it will be based around the org.eclipse.ui.ide framework, at a minimum. There may be separation between ".core" (setting up and executing Python) and ".ui" (UI views, preferences, etc. to configure PyDev).

So how you go about doing this rather depends on your RCP app. Are you shipping a custom IDE (e.g., based on org.eclipse.ui.ide)? If so, you might just be able to include the PyDev features into your product. PDE's Ctrl-Shift-A (Open Artifacts) is great for exploring what features and bundles exist in your target platform; my guess is that the PyDev features are `org.pydev.*`.

If your RCP app is not an IDE-like app, then embedding support for Python will be more difficult. You might be best approaching Fabio, the developer of PyDev, and seeing what can be done.

Brian.
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790758 is a reply to message #1790689] Fri, 15 June 2018 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Brian, thanks for the answer.

I have a e3 rcp application with Pydev Perspective already working but i want updated the technologies that i am working now that is i why start with e4.

In e3 i add the pydev plugins trougth Windows, Preferences, Plug-in Development, Target Platform.
Then i added in Dependence Tab in plugin.xml the "com.python.pydev.*"
Last step was create an button and in the handler put the next code

public class ShowPydevPerspective extends AbstractHandler 
{
	@Override
	public Object execute(ExecutionEvent event) throws ExecutionException 
	{
		ViewUtility.OpenPerspective("org.python.pydev.ui.PythonPerspective");
		return null;
	}
}

When the app run and click on the button the pydev perspective appears with all the context.

I try to do the same steps in e4 but is not working.

Thanks.

Regards,
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790759 is a reply to message #1790758] Fri, 15 June 2018 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
If you're still using the Eclipse Workbench APIs (org.eclipse.ui.*) then it should work fine. What error are you seeing?

Brian.
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790790 is a reply to message #1790759] Mon, 18 June 2018 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Brian, how are you?

I added in my plugin.xml , dependece tab all

• org.python.pyedev.*
  • org.eclipse.ui.*

I added too a button with the code that i mentioned after.

I have the following error, has you see in the image attached.

index.php/fa/33142/0/

I have installed the java version 1.8.0_161

Regards.
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790818 is a reply to message #1790790] Mon, 18 June 2018 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
You should specify features, not bundles. Only use bundles when you have intimate knowledge of why particular bundles should be excluded: although p2 will normally install most dependencies, p2 may not be able to find decoupled dependencies that are expressed via mechanisms like OSGi services and the Eclipse Plugin registry. You probably want to include the `org.eclipse.platform` feature, which is the base for most IDEs, and then include the PyDev features.
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790900 is a reply to message #1790818] Tue, 19 June 2018 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again brian, thanks for the answer.

Do you have some example how do this, how extend a full ide ex: pydev to a custom e4 app. This will be a helpful help

I am little lost in how extends works.

Thanks you very much.

Regards.
Re: how to add python perspective in rcp [message #1790947 is a reply to message #1790900] Wed, 20 June 2018 13:25 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
I have no experience including PyDev in a different product. But the process I'd follow is:

1. Open your .product file in the PDE Product editor.
  2. In the Overview tab, select "The product configuration is based > features"
  3. In the contents tab, add org.eclipse.platform, and the org.pydev.* extensions.
  4. Save and then select one of the Launch buttons in the upper right and test.

Previous Topic:Top Window Trim
Next Topic:Using org.eclipse.ui.forms plugin in pure RCP4 application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:42:02 GMT 2024