Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » sources and/or NOTICES from org.eclipse.core packages(I can't seem to find sources and/or copyright notices for several org.eclipse.core packages)
sources and/or NOTICES from org.eclipse.core packages [message #1786726] Wed, 09 May 2018 21:15 Go to next message
Ry Biesemeyer is currently offline Ry BiesemeyerFriend
The EPL-1.0 requires that when we redistribute EPL-licensed projects, we include the NOTICES from those projects, and in an effort to comply I'm running into some hurdles.

One of the Apache-2.0 licensed projects I maintain pulls in several dependency packages from within `org.eclipse.core` via maven, in effect redistributing them as part of our release artifacts:
- `commands`,
- `contenttype`,
- `expressions`,
- `filesystem`,
-` jobs`,
- `resources`, and
- `runtime`.

I'm having a hard time finding the copyright notices and/or sources for the above packages (e.g., they do not show up in the eclipse.org projects, and are not readily findable on git.eclipse.org).

Where can I find the sources and/or copyright nortices?
Re: sources and/or NOTICES from org.eclipse.core packages [message #1786727 is a reply to message #1786726] Wed, 09 May 2018 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Have you looked in the .jar files? They should already contain about.html files with the license text and terms.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: sources and/or NOTICES from org.eclipse.core packages [message #1786755 is a reply to message #1786727] Thu, 10 May 2018 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ry Biesemeyer is currently offline Ry BiesemeyerFriend
I was able to find a single unmodified source file that found its way into each of the JARs, which contains a header with a copyright notice: `plugin.properties`; since this is a metadata file about the project itself, the notice it contains should be sufficient for us to comply with the terms of the EPL-1.0.

On a separate note, the `about.html` inside each of the the JARs contains a clause indicating that the sources are available from http://www.eclipse.org (although after more than an hour of digging, I failed to find them):

Quote:

<p>If you did not receive this Content directly from the Eclipse Foundation, the Content is
being redistributed by another party (&quot;Redistributor&quot;) and different terms and conditions may
apply to your use of any object code in the Content. Check the Redistributor's license that was
provided with the Content. If no such license exists, contact the Redistributor. Unless otherwise
indicated below, the terms and conditions of the EPL still apply to any source code in the Content
and such source code may be obtained at <a href="http://www.eclipse.org">http://www.eclipse.org</a>.</p>

Where are the sources, and why are they so difficult to find?
Re: sources and/or NOTICES from org.eclipse.core packages [message #1786764 is a reply to message #1786755] Thu, 10 May 2018 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You are not required to redistribute the sources, nor to find them. If you were to modify the source files to produce new modified .class files, you would be required to make the modifications available themselves, but you're not doing that. If you wish to redistribute the jars, just leave them as is. Then don't worry, be happy, EPL is your friend.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: sources and/or NOTICES from org.eclipse.core packages [message #1786769 is a reply to message #1786764] Thu, 10 May 2018 23:10 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

But to allay any fears, most sources are on GitHub or git.eclipse.org. Also, the MANIFEST.MF files in the jars built by Eclipse.org include a header ("Eclipse-SourceReferences") pointing back to the repository and commit from which they were built.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Fri, 11 May 2018 00:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Cannot be resolved to a type
Next Topic:Missing requirement Apache Batik CSS with Eclipse Oxygen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:18:51 GMT 2024