Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work
Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work [message #1785721] Wed, 18 April 2018 20:06 Go to next message
Alex KL is currently offline Alex KLFriend
I'm new to Eclipse and I've been trying to figure out how to use the hot swap feature for a while now.

I'm trying to change the value of a String variable which gets printed to the console in a constant loop, however when I change the value as I'm running the application in debug mode the program doesn't seem to apply the changes, It still prints out the old unchanged value. I have to restart the application in order for the changes to take effect.

I read somewhere that "Build Automatically" has to be enabled, which it is. I also read that "Refresh on access" has to be enabled, which it also is. I also tried to enable "Refresh using native hooks or polling" which didn't work either.

I'm running Eclipse version Oxygen.3a Release 4.7.3a.
JavaSE-1.8

Not sure what to do to make this work.

Here's a short video demonstrating my issue:
(This site doesn't allow me to post links. Just a youtube link though so I guess it's fine? :s)
https://youtu . be/dXrs52kIICI
Re: Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work [message #1785728 is a reply to message #1785721] Thu, 19 April 2018 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I use this feature all the time, but I only use it when I'm stopped on a breakpoint and am inspecting the stack frames where it's stopped. If I change any of those files, they're recompiled and hot swapped, and then the debugger drops the stack frame to begin at the start of the swapped method.
Re: Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work [message #1785736 is a reply to message #1785728] Thu, 19 April 2018 08:04 Go to previous message
Alex KL is currently offline Alex KLFriend
Hm, okay.

I managed to get it to work when I changed the code in another class function.
Weird that it doesn't work directly in the loop though.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 April 2018 08:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Register rxJava in Eclipse
Next Topic:How to resolve proxy problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 16 18:10:49 GMT 2018