Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » GEF5 versus Sirius/GMF(GEF5 versus Sirius/GMF)
GEF5 versus Sirius/GMF [message #1785388] Fri, 13 April 2018 11:57 Go to next message
Bruce Trask is currently offline Bruce TraskFriend
Hello,

I was looking into the current state of my concrete syntax graphical options for grahpical editors for EMF based models and I had a question.

My understanding is the Sirius has a dependency on an older GEF. Is there a reason I should prefer GEF 5 over Sirius. What are my best options here?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

[Updated on: Fri, 13 April 2018 11:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GEF5 versus Sirius/GMF [message #1785394 is a reply to message #1785388] Fri, 13 April 2018 13:03 Go to previous message
Pierre-Charles David is currently offline Pierre-Charles DavidFriend
Bruce Trask wrote on Fri, 13 April 2018 13:57
Hello,

I was looking into the current state of my concrete syntax graphical options for grahpical editors for EMF based models and I had a question.

My understanding is the Sirius has a dependency on an older GEF. Is there a reason I should prefer GEF 5 over Sirius. What are my best options here?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Disclaimer: I'm part of the Sirius team.

Yes, Sirius currently depends on the old "GEF Legacy" (3.x), and the GMF Runtime framework above it. We have plans for moving to a different graphical stack, but this will be web-based, not GEF 5. See https://blog.obeo.fr/modeling-tools-go-up-to-the-cloud for some details. This transition will take time however, so in the meantime Sirius is still GEF 3 & GMF Runtime based. Of course the transition to the web can be accelerated if we can get sponsors to help ;-)

I don't have direct experience with GEF 5, but the differences I see:
* GEF 5 is a Java framework (so you have to write your modeler in Java) while Sirius is more declarative (if your needs are aligned with its feature set, you can get a working modeler very quickly and without writing Java code, or very little).
* GEF 5 will give you a more modern look and more fine grained control on the look of your diagrams and the interaction mechanisms, but again at the cost of writing possibly complex Java code. Sirius has many customization mechanisms (some inherited from GEF 3 itself), but is probably less flexible than GEF 5 here.
* Sirius is designed from the start to edit EMF-based model, so it provides a complete solution to manage their lifecycle. I'm sure GEF can work with EMF models, but unless this has changed since GEF 3, it is not handled by the framework itself.

Regards,

Pierre-Charles David - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Previous Topic:Trying to understand DynamicAnchorShapeSnippet and MindMap Example
Next Topic:GEF5 Export Diagram as SVG
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:28:21 GMT 2024