Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository
Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository [message #1783503] Tue, 13 March 2018 16:36 Go to next message
Ge Strait is currently offline Ge StraitFriend
I have a composite repository (pointed to by a product catalog I've created) that initially contains a single child that has a custom feature (1.0.0) that gets installed with my product initial install.

I create a new version (1.0.1) of that custom feature and add it to my composite repo as a 2nd child repo.

When I restart my product, after updating my composite repo with a 2nd child that has a new version of my custom feature, the new version of the feature does not get installed by the Oomph Updater.

I can however manually install the new feature version by using Install New Software or by selecting the Update button from the Installation Details window.

Any idea what I might be missing?
What might cause the Oomph Updater to not see a new child in a composite repository that is found by Install New Software?
Re: Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository [message #1783509 is a reply to message #1783503] Tue, 13 March 2018 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:
If I add a new unrelated repository to my product catalog, for example Find Bugs, then restart my product, both Find Bugs and the new version 1.0.1 of my custom feature get installed. So adding a new repository seems to jog the Oomph Updater but add a new child to a composite repository already in the product catalog does not.
Re: Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository [message #1783539 is a reply to message #1783509] Tue, 13 March 2018 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One more update:
If I enable Preferences>Install/Update>Automatic Update then the new child repository is seen and is installed by the Eclipse Automatic Updates. Not sure if using Preferences>Install/Update>Automatic Update is the way to go.
Re: Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository [message #1783552 is a reply to message #1783539] Wed, 14 March 2018 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't generally expect a simple restart of a product to automatically update what's installed simply because the update sites have modified content. Depending on the trigger, BOOTSTRAP, STARTUP, or MANUAL, org.eclipse.oomph.setup.p2.impl.P2TaskImpl.isNeeded(SetupTaskContext) returns different results. For BOOTSTRAP and MANUAL it always return true; of course when creating an installation it will definitely be needed and when manually performing (Help-> Perform Setup Tasks) there generally might be updates; this is why you always see the p2 task listed when doing a manual Perform Setup Tasks... For STARTUP, isNeeded returns true only if the installation profile does not satisfy the requirements of the p2 task. I.e., if something that should be installed isn't already installed or what's already installed isn't within the required version range of some Requirement. The isNeeded method never actually checks the contents of the update sites to see if there is something new/different that could be updated; such an operation would be potentially very long running.

So if you really want to force all your users to update their installation upon restart, you should change at least one of the requirements of the product's p2 task to specifically require the newer version of the IU, i.e., specify a lower bound that will force an update to at least that version.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository [message #1783599 is a reply to message #1783552] Wed, 14 March 2018 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It appears that I had a bad assumption regarding how the updater works. Thanks.
Re: Oomph Updater not picking up new versions in composite repository [message #1783694 is a reply to message #1783599] Thu, 15 March 2018 15:29 Go to previous message
Follow up in case it helps the next person....

I set the versionRange on the Requirement to the lastest version in my composite repository. That triggers the install of the latest version in the composite repo on the next product startup. See line 140...

135 <setupTask
136 xsi:type="setup.p2:P2Task"
137 label="My Custom Features">
138 <requirement
139 name="com.my.company.feature.feature.group"
140 versionRange="1.0.1"/>
141 <repository
142 url="http://my.company.com/product/repos/custom"/>
143 </setupTask>
Previous Topic:How to use the existing *.target file in oomph setup file
Next Topic:Oxygen composite
Goto Forum: