Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Using eclipse to perform own specific process
Using eclipse to perform own specific process [message #1782852] Fri, 02 March 2018 13:58 Go to next message
Tim Baalmann is currently offline Tim BaalmannFriend
Hi,

I want to use eclipse and plug-ins to perform a specific process. For this I need some functionality from different plug-ins, like loading SysML-Models from Papyrus or using specific Model2Text-Templates with Acceleo. Later on also combined with other functionalities performed through other (maybe own) plug-ins.

As I am relatively new to the processes behind eclipse, I would really appreciate any kind of help with regard to my intention. I already read (and testet a bit) about OSGi-Services, plug-in development and RCP application development, so I think what is planned could generally be possible, but I don't really know where to start with. Like how do I use functionality of other plug-ins and where do I find information about which functionality a plug-in has. And maybe also if it is more reasonable to develop a plug-in for the eclipse IDE or an RCP application.

As I said above, I am relatively new to all of this and would really appreciate any kind of help (tutorials, examples, or anything else).

Regards,
Re: Using eclipse to perform own specific process [message #1782917 is a reply to message #1782852] Mon, 05 March 2018 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Start with the Platform Plug-in Developer Guide, and an example plug-in. It sounds like the hard part will be figuring out how to accomplish your objective, though, not how to integrate the solution into Eclipse.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Using eclipse to perform own specific process [message #1782958 is a reply to message #1782852] Mon, 05 March 2018 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Tim,

If you are interested in manipulating SysML models, perhaps you should be aware that Papyrus, in itself, is a platform that can be used to create domain or application specific modeling tools.

For example, both Papyrus for Information Modeling and Papyrus for Real Time are tools that have been developed on top of Papyrus.

I am also currently involved in a project where Papyrus for SysML is being tailored for a specific domain (although that is not an open source endeavour).

For more information about Papyrus's capabilities in this area, you can look at:

/Charles Rivet
Re: Using eclipse to perform own specific process [message #1783076 is a reply to message #1782852] Wed, 07 March 2018 11:46 Go to previous message
Tim Baalmann is currently offline Tim BaalmannFriend
Thanks for your replies so far, I will have a look at that.

But in order to clarify what I want to do, I am trying to rephrase it.
I want to get a kind of automation into my process. Therefor I have to start different plug-ins (or just use some of their functionality) and maybe have some kind of data exchange. At the moment the exact functionalities of the used plug-ins are not that important, but likely to be kind of "get the path of the wanted SysML-Model" or "start a Model2Text-Transformation using a (spezified) acceleo template" on that model.
I think what I want is something like a sequential call of different plug-in functionalities and I also want to be able to change the sequence depending on some early user input.

At the moment I think it is most reasonable to start with a plug-in, which calls the desired functionalities, because of the higher effort to create a complete RCP application. But I don't know if there might be another alternative (a better one?).
Also how can I find out what functionality plug-ins use to perform certain tasks? I wasn't able to find any documentation or similar so far.

What I already found out is that Acceleo provides a way to extend the right-click menu on certain file types (using a plug-in) with a generation function based on specific templates. So at the moment I am working on using this for my desired tasks.

I would appreciate any kind of input that anyone can come up with on these issues.

Regards.
Previous Topic:Windows websockets binary?
Next Topic:Filtering Specific Files from Validation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:53:17 GMT 2024