Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse seems to stop emitting warnings at a point in a very long source file
Eclipse seems to stop emitting warnings at a point in a very long source file [message #1781582] Thu, 08 February 2018 22:49 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Does Eclipse have a point where it just "gives up" emitting warnings in a very long source file?

I'm looking at an absurd file, which I had no part in producing, that is over 8000 lines long.

Quite far into the file, I noticed a block like this (and many similar blocks):
lineItem.put("foo",lineItem.get("id"));
if(lineItem!=null && ...) {

I found it curious that Eclipse wasn't giving me a "Redundant null check" warning on the second line. I verified that I have "Redundant null check" in prefs set to "Warning".

I also noted that in the right margin, there are tons of yellow marks, but they stop completely around 2/3 of the way through the file. The block in question is past that point in the file.

Re: Eclipse seems to stop emitting warnings at a point in a very long source file [message #1781594 is a reply to message #1781582] Fri, 09 February 2018 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Yes. It is a sensible protective measure; by default only 100 issues appear. You may also find that errors may suppress warnings. If there is no suppression the massive consumption of expensive UI resources may cause execution to fail, or user patience to expire.

Arguably it is not protective enough. For ridiculous files you want to see the usually one or two ridiculous errors rather all the consequences of the ridiculous errors.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Eclipse seems to stop emitting warnings at a point in a very long source file [message #1781631 is a reply to message #1781594] Fri, 09 February 2018 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's surprising, as I specifically have "Use limits" unchecked in the filter. You're saying that there's an unconfigurable limit of 100 issues per source file?
Re: Eclipse seems to stop emitting warnings at a point in a very long source file [message #1781635 is a reply to message #1781631] Fri, 09 February 2018 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

There are two different configurable limits both of which default to 100.

The Problems View filter limits to 100 problems per workspace.

The Java Compiler Building limits to 100 reports per file.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Eclipse seems to stop emitting warnings at a point in a very long source file [message #1781639 is a reply to message #1781635] Fri, 09 February 2018 23:17 Go to previous message
Ah, got it. Now I see the whole mess. :) Thanks.
Previous Topic:How to load a formatter profile to a workspace configuration
Next Topic:Eclipse Is Reporting Non-Existant Errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:04:54 GMT 2024