Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to get two IDEs show in macos launchpad ?(A recurrent install problem for Eclipse on mac)
How to get two IDEs show in macos launchpad ? [message #1781550] Thu, 08 February 2018 11:56 Go to next message
Francois Vigneron is currently offline Francois VigneronFriend
I have installed two versions of the Eclipse IDE on mac (macos 10.12.6, but the exact version does not seem relevant). One is the standard C/C++ IDE and the other one is the standard JAVA IDE.

I have renamed the apps "C Eclipse" and "Java Eclipse" and they are in distinct folders within the main App folder. However, only the first one that I have installed ("C Eclipse") will show up in the mac Launchpad.

I have read some help online and I an not interested in the answer "don't install two Eclipse".

Thanks !
Re: How to get two IDEs show in macos launchpad ? [message #1781555 is a reply to message #1781550] Thu, 08 February 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Interesting. I have multiple eclipse installations on my Mac without issues, but then I rarely use Launchpad.

I had a look and I do have multiple Eclipse installations shown in Launchpad, but not all. Also, I only have one at the "top" and the others are in a package. Taking of from the package onto the "top", it is displayed correctly.

I'm not sure what to recommend as a solution for your issue, but it appears that having multiple Eclipse installations visible in Launchpad is feasible.

For reference, I am running HighSierra.

/Charles Rivet
Re: How to get two IDEs show in macos launchpad ? [message #1781605 is a reply to message #1781550] Fri, 09 February 2018 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You should not have two Eclipse installations, but just install both language supports into the same installation, and use the Window->Perspective menu to select which to use.

For example, take your Java installation, pick the menu item Help -> Install New Software, select for Work with: the main repository of your Eclipse release, e.g. Oxygen - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/oxygen, and from Programming Languages menu pick the CDT pieces to install.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: How to get two IDEs show in macos launchpad ? [message #1781648 is a reply to message #1781605] Sat, 10 February 2018 13:07 Go to previous message
Francois Vigneron is currently offline Francois VigneronFriend
@Tauno Voipio: thanks for your detailed answer, but you might have missed my last sentence ;-)

I wanted to avoid explaining my reasons but here is why. I am programming in multiple languages and I like to have a tool which is customized for each language and welcomes me with the proper dedicated welcome screen. Plus I want to avoid a big sluggish unresponsive app, which happens if you install the whole world in one app. If the "all in one approach" was official, then for example where is the official "How-to" install and replicate the Java IDE welcome screen and the How-to replicate the default Java perspective in the C/C++ dedicated IDE ? I also have an Eclispe clone called Wolfram Workbench to run the Mathematica language. Having it separate from C/C++ and Java suits me better, even though I could have run everything from there via the packages system... But all this is not relevant to my question.

Please, let us stick instead to my original question, as it was stated.
Thanks again for your help.

--
François
Previous Topic:Eclipse Kepler IDE freezes when trying to run Java application
Next Topic:[Resolved] Newbie can't get SWT demo "Hello World" set up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:17:18 GMT 2024