Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Build EMF project(How to build EMF project)
Build EMF project [message #1781080] Thu, 01 February 2018 09:11 Go to next message
zhang ph is currently offline zhang phFriend
Hi,
I have downloaded the EMF package(org.eclipse.emf-R2_12_0.tar.gz) and did some modification over the source code. And now i want to build it with CLI(like maven or ant), but i didn't find any guide about that, so could you give me any suggestion about that against this version?
Thanks in advance!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 01 February 2018 09:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Build EMF project [message #1781086 is a reply to message #1781080] Thu, 01 February 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Older versions of Eclipse were built with Buckminster; I don't even know how that really worked because I didn't do the builds myself. They were hosted here:

https://hudson.eclipse.org/xtext/view/EMF/

The latest version of EMF in master (2.14) is built with Maven Tycho by this Jenkins instance:

https://ci.eclipse.org/emf/

There are very instructions on that page for how to setup up an EMF development environment and for how to run the Maven Tycho build for that locally.

I cannot help you make this work for older versions of EMF and those old jobs are all disabled now.

Note that EMF 2.14 is backward compatible with Eclipse Helios, so the result of the build against master can pretty much be installed anywhere.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Build EMF project [message #1781090 is a reply to message #1781086] Thu, 01 February 2018 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Are you sure that you really want to build EMF manually? The Eclipse IDE does an excellent job of building EMF automatically, and perhaps you can then just export a JAR. (Sorry it is so long since I needed to export a JAR that I've forgotten how.)

As Ed M commented, EMF has excellent upward compatibility, so using the latest EMF and a local Maven/Tycho build should be much easier than struggling to get a Buckminster server running.

If you really want a manual build of EMF 2.12, back-porting the new Maven/Tycho build should be relatively easy. If you do this, please post details on how you got on for the benefit of other users.

If you take any other approach, and require an accurate full build, expect to have some excitement in ensuring that ANT and JET aspects of the build work correctly.

Regards

Ed Willink

Re: Build EMF project [message #1781454 is a reply to message #1781090] Wed, 07 February 2018 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zhang ph is currently offline zhang phFriend
Hi Ed,
Thanks for your help. And I have built the 2.12.0 successfully by back-porint the new maven build. But there is still a question: when I use command "mvn install -Dmaven.test.skip=true" in 'releng/org.eclipse.emf.parent/' , the generated packages are installed into the local repository ".m2/repository/org/eclipse/emf/" instead of ".m2/repository/p2/osgi/bundle/". When I use other module(Like Xtext) to call the api added by me in the org.eclipse.emf.common, I found build process will search the package in ".m2/repository/p2/osgi/bundle/" by default and then throw errors, so could you give me any suggestion to solve the problem or install the generated packages into ".m2/repository/p2/osgi/bundle/"?
Re: Build EMF project [message #1781459 is a reply to message #1781454] Wed, 07 February 2018 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

.m2/repository is a bit of a mystery to me. I don't understand why my builds download to inconsistent locations. There is probably a sensible explanation in the Tycho/Maven documentation.

I've seen recommendations to use a <repository ... element to support additional repositories, so maybe you just need one of those declarations.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Build EMF project [message #1781464 is a reply to message #1781459] Wed, 07 February 2018 14:25 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't use mvn install. The build produces a repo in org.eclipse.emf.site/target/repository/ for example, https://ci.eclipse.org/emf/job/integration/ws/git/org.eclipse.emf/releng/org.eclipse.emf.site/target/repository/ but it only copies that folder out of the workspace into the job, and the org.eclipse.emf.releng Maven build publishes and maintain the update site. I'm not sure what mvn install is supposed to do, but I don't use that and can't help with that. Normally anyone that relies on the results of the build, points at the p2 repo with that build result and that pulls them into the Maven cache...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:New Eclipse User
Next Topic:[CDO/Net4J] InterruptedException during a lock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:47:51 GMT 2024