Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Multiple Ecore models vs multiple ecore packages
Multiple Ecore models vs multiple ecore packages [message #1778546] Sat, 16 December 2017 15:24 Go to next message
Eric Jeunieaux is currently offline Eric JeunieauxFriend
I recently read in a post (that I can not find anymore) where Ed Merks advocated using several models instead of splitting a same model into several packages.

Did I understand correctly ?

Are there any links to a blog or documentation that could provide me with more explanation about the pros and cons of both approaches ?
Re: Multiple Ecore models vs multiple ecore packages [message #1778608 is a reply to message #1778546] Mon, 18 December 2017 16:47 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It depends on your background.

If you use EMF to generate Java then nested EPackages are not really necessary; multiple Ecores work. Each EPackage has its distinct nsURI, genmodel and registration. Multiple EPackages are share some facilities.

If you come from a UML background then multiple Packages in a huge UML model are the way to structure big systems, so why can't Ecore do what UML can?

In Eclipse, UML is supported by a UML2Ecore conversion.

Consequently Ecore supports multiple/nested EPackages but it is easy for tooling to overlook the need to do the multi-root loop or the nested-EPackage recursion and so if you study the early Bugzillas of almost any EMF-based modeling tool you will find a broken multi-EPackage support bug. Easy fixed but since it is a little used case, it takes a while for the functionality to propagate. If you use multiple EPackages for Ecore you risk encountering further oversights.

Regards

Ed Willink

Previous Topic:Dealing with model structure changes
Next Topic:How to improve generated editor?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:19:03 GMT 2024