Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » After migration/update, Tomcat says "The main resource set specified [...] is not valid"
After migration/update, Tomcat says "The main resource set specified [...] is not valid" [message #1775829] Mon, 06 November 2017 22:25 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I have two Gradle webapps projects in my workspace that I've been running in Eclipse in Tomcat 8.5.11 for quite a while. I recently had to have my laptop reimaged. My workspace was restored, but I believe it removed any jar files or executable files in the copy (not going to rely on that process again).

I haven't changed any of the code in either project in quite a while, but today I added one dependency to the build.gradle, for a new capability that I need. I verified that the project builds from the command line successfully.

I reinstalled Eclipse and I believe I've now installed all the plugins I require. I added a new Tomcat distribution (8.5.23) and I added the two projects to the server instance. When I start the server, i see errors like this:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource set specified [...\workspace-oxygen\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp2\wtpwebapps\combinedAtgUslMonitorGUI] is not valid
	at org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.createMainResourceSet(StandardRoot.java:749)
	at org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.startInternal(StandardRoot.java:706)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)

The contents of that "wtpwebapps" directory shows the following two entries:
* ROOT
* combinedAtgUslMonitorService

The last one is the second of the two apps.

I noticed that something edited my "server.xml" file in the server definition, adding the following:
      <Context docBase="combinedAtgUslMonitorGUI" path="/combinedAtgUslMonitorGUI" reloadable="true" source="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.server:combinedAtgUslMonitorGUI"/><Context docBase="combinedAtgUslMonitorService" path="/combinedAtgUslMonitorService" reloadable="true" source="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.server:combinedAtgUslMonitorService"/></Host>

In the console output, I don't see a similar error message for "combinedAtgUslMonitorService", but I also don't see log lines that make it seem like it successfully deployed that project (or the GUI one, for that matter).
Re: After migration/update, Tomcat says "The main resource set specified [...] is not valid&quo [message #1775831 is a reply to message #1775829] Mon, 06 November 2017 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried the following:
* "Publish"
* "Clean..."
* "Clean Tomcat Work Directory..."
* "Clean Module Work Directory..."
* Removing the GUI project, applying, adding the GUI project, applying

None of these have made any difference.
Re: After migration/update, Tomcat says "The main resource set specified [...] is not valid& [message #1775832 is a reply to message #1775831] Mon, 06 November 2017 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And it is consistent, in that "Browse Deployment Location..." shows the aforementioned "wtpwebapps" directory, containing the two directories I listed earlier.
Re: After migration/update, Tomcat says "The main resource set specified [...] is not valid& [message #1775833 is a reply to message #1775832] Mon, 06 November 2017 22:43 Go to previous message
Still confused, but I got this working. I ended up doing a "Refresh Gradle Project" on the GUI project, and now it's magically working.
Previous Topic:Apps deployed to 8.5.11 instance, can't add them to 8.5.23 instance
Next Topic:Tomcat Server Unknown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:49:47 GMT 2024