Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus 3.x.0 - UML / SysML Model(How to have UML and SysMl diagrams in the same model)
Papyrus 3.x.0 - UML / SysML Model [message #1775740] Sat, 04 November 2017 21:07 Go to next message
Nicola Mazzacane is currently offline Nicola MazzacaneFriend
Hi,

I have to create a mixed model, one section with UML items and diagrams and another section with SysML 1.4 items and diagrams.

This was possible with Papyrus 2.0.x: in fact when I created a SysML 1.1 model, UML diagrams were still available in the menu together with UML diagrams.
Now with Papyrus 3.x.0, if I create a SysML 1.4 model UML diagrams are not available, only the SysML 1.4 ones; if I create a UML Model and then I apply the SysML 1.4 profile to a package, there I can create SysML 1.4 items, but SysML 1.4 diagrams are not available, only UML ones.

Is it a desired behavior or a side effect?

Regards,
Nicola
Re: Papyrus 3.x.0 - UML / SysML Model [message #1775753 is a reply to message #1775740] Sun, 05 November 2017 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Nicola,

I also was confronted with the fact my mixed UML + SysML models were no longer supported with Papyrus 3.x. I thought long on that "restriction" and analyzed my models. It proved UML was only in the software domain submodels. The overall system model as well as the hardware and mechanic domain submodels were pure SysML models. So I simply converted the software domain submodels into pure UML models and left all other submodels pure SysML models. An UML submodel can reference a SysML submodel via package import.

I included a quick&dirty demo project to briefly illustrate this way to structure a model.
(BTW, there seems to be a bug with package import. I only selected the Software Components package to be imported, but all packages got imported.)

> Is it a desired behavior or a side effect?

I am only a Papyrus user, but I hope it is a desired behavior. Simply because people familiar with both UML and SysML are extremely scarse.

/pica

PS I filed a bug regarding the package import behavior https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=526853

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2017 17:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Papyrus 3.x.0 - UML / SysML Model [message #1775770 is a reply to message #1775753] Mon, 06 November 2017 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi,

It is indeed the desired behavior: starting with Papyrus 3.x / Oxygen, languages are now clearly separated (Via the Architecture Framework mechanism). Previously, when someone installed several languages (DSMLs) at the same time, the boundary wasn't clear and languages could interfere with each other. This is no longer the case (Although a language may reference another one, and you could build a language that reuses both UML and SysML diagrams. But Papyrus doesn't provide that)

HTH,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Papyrus 3.x.0 - UML / SysML Model [message #1775782 is a reply to message #1775770] Mon, 06 November 2017 09:57 Go to previous message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Camille,
to strictly separate DSMLs, in my opinion an excelent design choice. This design eases the work of the modelers using a DSML as well as the work of the sesigners of a DSMLs.
Best regards and many thanks,
pica
Previous Topic:Maven dependency
Next Topic:SYSMOD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Nov 12 18:07:06 GMT 2018