Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Eclipse Layout Kernel » Support for complex edge labels
Support for complex edge labels [message #1775664] Fri, 03 November 2017 00:24 Go to next message
Jacob Beard is currently offline Jacob BeardFriend
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to position a complex node (i.e. a node containing other nodes) adjacent to an edge, essentially positioning it as a label?

I saw there was some documentation about this here for KLay: rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/confluence/display/KIELER/Dynamic+Label+Sizing

I was wondering if there are any updates for ELK?

Thank you for your guidance on this,

Jake
Re: Support for complex edge labels [message #1775749 is a reply to message #1775664] Sun, 05 November 2017 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Daniel Schulze is currently offline Christoph Daniel SchulzeFriend
Hi Jacob,

we have no built-in ability to treat nodes as we treat labels as that would blur the distinction between the two and make a lot of things in the algorithm much more complicated.

What you might want to do is call automatic layout several times: once with a graph that describes only your complex node, and a second time with a graph that describes the diagrams that complex node should be placed in. In that second graph, you could model that node as a label of the same size the node would have. When applying the layout results, you would apply the coordinates assigned to the label to the compound node.

Cheers,
Chris
Re: Support for complex edge labels [message #1775808 is a reply to message #1775749] Mon, 06 November 2017 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great suggestion. Thanks for the reply.
Re: Support for complex edge labels [message #1775897 is a reply to message #1775808] Tue, 07 November 2017 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanted to let you know, I implemented the two-pass approach that you suggested, and it is working well.
Re: Support for complex edge labels [message #1775931 is a reply to message #1775897] Wed, 08 November 2017 11:21 Go to previous message
Christoph Daniel Schulze is currently offline Christoph Daniel SchulzeFriend
Jacob,

glad to hear, that's excellent news! :)

Cheers,
Chris
Previous Topic:Layout parts of a diagram
Next Topic:Find the best Algo and options for my graph
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:10:59 GMT 2024