Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Trouble building projects the second time(The build/clean option fails to open/remove old exe files when compiling a project second time.)
Trouble building projects the second time [message #1774533] Mon, 16 October 2017 21:10 Go to next message
Sanat Upadhyay is currently offline Sanat UpadhyayFriend
Dear All,

I am using eclipse-cpp-oxygen-1-rc4-win32-x86_64, on a 64 bit windows 10 machine, with MinGW 64 bit compiler. I am new to using eclipse for C++. I am able to build my projects successfully for the first time. But after modifying my programs, I cannot build them the second time because I get the following error message:

"cannot open output file filename.exe: Permission denied
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status"

Similar messages appears when I try to do Clean project. I cannot delete the exe files generated from the first build even after closing eclipse using the windows explorer.

I request the communities help in troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks.
Re: Trouble building projects the second time [message #1774605 is a reply to message #1774533] Tue, 17 October 2017 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You may be still running the result of the first compilation. Windows cannot build a new copy of the program when the old one is running.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Trouble building projects the second time [message #1774611 is a reply to message #1774605] Tue, 17 October 2017 18:40 Go to previous message
Sanat Upadhyay is currently offline Sanat UpadhyayFriend
Hi Tauno

I thought the same. But the problem is that I cannot locate where the file may be running. Task manager does not show an exe by the name of my project/program.

I want to find solutions to two problems

1) How do I locate where are the exe files open? Task manager is not the one helping me.
2) How can I set up my system in a manner that I don't have to manually close the exe everytime?

Thanks.
Previous Topic:Post-compile script?
Next Topic:Legal Question about autogenerated project files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:35:26 GMT 2024