Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph Setup SDK Documentation Incomplete
Oomph Setup SDK Documentation Incomplete [message #1774180] Wed, 11 October 2017 10:57 Go to next message
Adrian Price is currently offline Adrian PriceFriend
I have the Oomph Setup SDK 1.9.0.v20170706-0615 installed in Eclipse Oxygen, wherein 'Help > Help Contents > [toc] > Oomph Setup Documentation > Reference > API Reference' lists 14 'Oomp Xxx' topics for various org.eclipse.oomph.setup.* EMF packages.

However, I could not find any such API References for the org.eclipse.oomph.resources or org.eclipse.oomph.predicates packages (note: there may be other packages missing that I haven't noticed yet).

Also, the generated Javadocs are the bare minimum produced automatically by EMF Codegen; there don't seem to be any GenModel/documentation annotations in the Ooomph Ecore models, so the resulting Javadocs do not describe the semantics and usage of the various generated types. This makes it hard to understand how to author a setup model. I appreciate that the docs & Wiki have some 'cookbook'-style examples but that is no substitute for rigorous, complete API documentation. All in all I'm finding this quite a steep learning curve, which is a shame since Oomph is clearly a powerful and well-engineered installer.
Re: Oomph Setup SDK Documentation Incomplete [message #1774201 is a reply to message #1774180] Wed, 11 October 2017 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, writing complete documentation is a huge amount of work, and is not nearly as interesting as implementing all the cool features. :-( I expect authoring documentation would be more useful than documentation the Java APIs....

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph Setup SDK Documentation Incomplete [message #1774205 is a reply to message #1774201] Wed, 11 October 2017 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Price is currently offline Adrian PriceFriend
Thanks Ed, I know all about writing boring documentation and I do understand how developer time tends to get prioritised. ;-)

But did you note the comment about the EMF packages whose API Reference is missing from the SDK docs?
Re: Oomph Setup SDK Documentation Incomplete [message #1774237 is a reply to message #1774205] Thu, 12 October 2017 04:54 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, I someone opened a bug about broken links in the Javadoc already: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=525128

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Ubuntu: Installation failed with an error
Next Topic:Target Platform applied every startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:05:56 GMT 2024