Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Installing Eclipse for use by multiple users in a domain environment(Installation for a Windows domain environment)
Installing Eclipse for use by multiple users in a domain environment [message #1770754] Wed, 16 August 2017 19:36 Go to next message
David Wheeler is currently offline David WheelerFriend
Full disclosure, I do not use Eclipse. I am a domain administrator in search of install instructions or advice. How do I install "Java IDE for Java Developers" on a Windows Domain PC (Win10) for use by multiple users? When I install with the default options, it installs into my personal user profile which works fine but when a different user logs in, they don't have permission to access that folder. Is there a way to install it to a mapped drive or even the "program files" folder so there are no permission issues. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Re: Installing Eclipse for use by multiple users in a domain environment [message #1770774 is a reply to message #1770754] Thu, 17 August 2017 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You can take one of two approaches.

You can download packages directly from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/ and unzip one of more of those wherever you want (with admin privilege if permissions are a problem). The key is that to the end user, the installation be read-only. Eclipse then automatically created a "surrogate" installation in the user's home folder, nested in the .eclipse folder created there. The user will be able to install additional things locally via the surrogate, without modifying the read-only installation itself.

You can do this with the installer as well (running with admin privilege). But, the installer, by default, uses a shared agent with a shared bundle pool, and that's located, by default, in ~/.p2. You can disable the use of a shared bundle pool via the menu control in the upper right (just toggling the green toggle button). Or you can change the location of the shared agent's bundle pool also via the menu control, bringing up the Bundle Pool Management dialog. So you can create your shared agent with its shared bundle pool at any location where you have write permission (and running with as admin you that have pretty much everywhere/anywhere). So you can co-locate the agent in a sensible location relative to where you're going to create all the installations. As that statement suggests, this is most useful if you are going to create several installations, the advantage being that you could create installations for all the packages and the total impact on disk footprint is the union of all unique bundles and features of all those installations, rather than simply having each installation physically contain it's own complete copy. So all 10 installations might take up only as much space as two would take up without a shared bundle pool.(And of course you download each bundle/feature at most once, rather than once per installation... In any case, the key again is that the installation folder and the shared agent folder be read-only to the end user.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Installing Eclipse for use by multiple users in a domain environment [message #1771132 is a reply to message #1770754] Tue, 22 August 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karthik Natarajan is currently offline Karthik NatarajanFriend

Hi Dave,
In my organization we did following. Check if this helps & relevant
In unix server we did the following

1. one Eclipse with pre-installed features to support everyone in one drive(Ex:C:) - read only for others
2. D - drive we have created user id folder with permission to that user alone.
Similarly we have created multiple users
3. Provided eclipse instances to everyone through Citrix

Our config.ini file is have the configuration as below

Thanks & Regards
Karthik Natarajan

• Attachment: config.jpg
    (Size: 109.34KB, Downloaded 1994 times)

Regards
Karthik Natarajan
Re: Installing Eclipse for use by multiple users in a domain environment [message #1771177 is a reply to message #1771132] Tue, 22 August 2017 15:51 Go to previous message
David Wheeler is currently offline David WheelerFriend
Thanks for the feedback all...I am hoping that I got it working doing it the following way, please let me know if you foresee issues with this install method...

I installed the JDK local to the PC.
I installed Eclipse to a mapped M: drive and created a shortcut on all users desktop to the install.
I then logged in as a different user and launched the program via the shortcut. During launch, I was asked for the workspace directory to use and the suggested path was the active users profile folder\etc, which is a unique folder. It seems to launch and work fine but I don't use the program so I can't confirm.

Please let me know if there will be issues with this install method or if there is a step I need to include, etc. I appreciate the help and input.

Dave Wheeler
Previous Topic:automatic import of preferences on startup
Next Topic:[Solved]At my wit's end to correct the error messages in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:26:28 GMT 2024