Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Eclipse Neon.3: Separate Tomcat installation required?
Eclipse Neon.3: Separate Tomcat installation required? [message #1769478] Tue, 01 August 2017 01:04 Go to next message
Ajoy Bhatia is currently offline Ajoy BhatiaFriend
I am working with Eclipse Neon.3 and I have Eclipse Java EE Developer Tools feature and Eclipse Web Developer Tools feature installed. Do I need to install Apache Tomcat separately? Is it not included in these features?

I am asking because, in Servers view, I clicked on link to create a new server. For server type, I selected "Tomcat v9.0 Server" and clicked Next. Now, I am asked to enter "Tomcat installation directory". There is a button labeled "Download and Install..." but it is disabled.

Why is a Tomcat server not included in my Eclipse installation? Is there something that I am missing?

- Ajoy
Re: Eclipse Neon.3: Separate Tomcat installation required? [message #1769551 is a reply to message #1769478] Tue, 01 August 2017 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

My own supposition is that It is third party software that is not needed to run either of the Features you've listed above.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse Neon.3: Separate Tomcat installation required? [message #1769727 is a reply to message #1769551] Wed, 02 August 2017 22:56 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
The reason this feature is not enabled for Tomcat 9 is that Tomcat 9 downloads are still "alpha" at this time. It won't be enabled until there is an official release. However, I don't recommend using this feature to install your Tomcat as it is locked to a version of Tomcat when Web Tools is built and is soon out of date for currently supported Tomcats. It is better to download a zip or tar.gz from the Apache Tomcat site for the current version of the Tomcat you are interested in and use that.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Error For Apache Tomcat: Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/T
Next Topic:class files disappear sporadically from a tomcat deployment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 22 21:56:22 GMT 2018