Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Java syntax highlighting does not persist on IDE restart(Java syntax highlighting does not save properly)
Java syntax highlighting does not persist on IDE restart [message #1768558] Thu, 20 July 2017 03:33 Go to next message
Yuri Budilov is currently offline Yuri BudilovFriend
Hello

I am using latest 4.7.0 Oxygen, Java IDE, on Windows 10, 64-bit.
Oracle JDK 1.8 build 141 (latest).

I selected Dark Theme.

I changed the font size from a default 10 (too small to see) to a larger size 14, the same font as default (Consolas).

Once this is done not only the text size gets larger as expected but the various Java syntax objects such as Class Names get BOLD (such as System and String).

So I go into Java editor syntax highlighting preferences and I tick-off all BOLD settings from all Java elements.

This works just fine but only for the current session of Eclipse.

Once I re-start Eclipse IDE the BOLD for Class Names (and some other elements) returns.

If I do not change the text font size from its default size 10 then it seems not to do this.

I did some digging and the preferences are stored here:

~/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs

I verified they are updated by Eclipse when I make visual changes.
I copied the file to another folder to I can compared it.

Then when I re-start Eclipse it wipes off my preferences with a new file which does not keep my preferences beyond just font name and font size.

So the Bold settings for Java elements are not kept.

What am I doing wrong?
What can I do to make it keep my preferences?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Thu, 20 July 2017 04:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Java syntax highlighting does not persist on IDE restart [message #1768560 is a reply to message #1768558] Thu, 20 July 2017 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the file with Java UI preferences org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs also gets over-written on each Eclipse re-start and the BOLD settings get enabled (=true in the file).

Am I looking in the wrong place for the solution to this ?
thanks
Re: Java syntax highlighting does not persist on IDE restart [message #1768561 is a reply to message #1768560] Thu, 20 July 2017 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Where is this file on your system?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Java syntax highlighting does not persist on IDE restart [message #1768566 is a reply to message #1768561] Thu, 20 July 2017 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Thu, 20 July 2017 04:51
Where is this file on your system?

it is located in the same folder where my Eclipse workspace lives.

Since I put my question I did more on this.

I went to Preferences for OOMPH and saved them in "workspace" and it seems to be working now.

I have to say, at least for new Eclipse user, this area appears to be a bit of a mess.

It should really be fool-proof and seamless and instead it is full of traps.

I changed theme to dark and changed background to black and all of a sudden I could not read Java annotations because both the text and background were the same colour - black.
Once I manually changed the annotations text colour to white it came good.

I admit I am new to Eclipse but I have not experienced issues like this in Visual Studio.... I guess I am saying this is much harder than it needs to be.

Re: Java syntax highlighting does not persist on IDE restart [message #1768586 is a reply to message #1768566] Thu, 20 July 2017 09:33 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Perhaps you've recorded preferences previously and then stopped doing that, but the previously recorded preferences will still be applied. You can have a look in Navigate -> Open Setup -> User to see what's stored there. Also you can control this in Window -> Preferences -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks -> Preference Recorder to see which things you've marked for recording.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse Installer fails on Window 7, unable to install.
Next Topic:Download .jar from Mars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:28:55 GMT 2024