Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10(Set breakpoints on Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10)
Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10 [message #1764111] Thu, 25 May 2017 03:41 Go to next message
George Jackson is currently offline George JacksonFriend
Dear Eclipse C++ Experts,

I can no longer set breakpoint in Eclipse Version: Neon.3 Release (4.6.3),
Build id: 20170314-1500, MinGW_64 (Posix) on Windows 10 (64bits) in the last
2 days on any C++ programs including a simple Hello World below:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
	cout << "!!!Hello World!!!" << endl; // tried to set breakpoint on this line
	return 0;
}

This program & others runs fine in Eclipse.

The debug error are as follows:
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.11.1
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-w64-mingw32".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
[New Thread 3728.0x1f40]
[New Thread 3728.0x1354]
[New Thread 3728.0xdb4]
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
Cannot access memory at address 0x75af355b

Not sure whether it is related to the following informative message after successful project built:
"Info: Configuration "Debug" uses tool-chain "MinGW GCC" that is unsupported on this system, attempting to build anyway."

Re-installing MinGW_64 (Posix) failed to make a difference. I
wouldn't mind re-installing Eclipse but not sure whether it will make any
difference & how to do it.

The following Windows environment variables have been set:
MinGW_HOME=C:\MingW\mingw32;
PATH=C:\MingW\mingw32\bin;

These variables are set in Eclipse Preferences,C/C++,Build,Environment variable

I need to use the debugger to troubleshoot more complex programs.

I couldn't find recent post on this issue & would appreciate any advice after
having spent days on trying to fix it without success.

This feature was working after initial installation earlier last week.

Thanks in advance,

George

Re: Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10 [message #1764405 is a reply to message #1764111] Mon, 29 May 2017 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this an active forum? Are there any moderator monitoring any post? Is there anything I have missed or am I posting to the wrong forum altogether?

I like to continue using Eclipse IDE but may need to look at other product if no community support is available.

Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

George
Re: Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10 [message #1764478 is a reply to message #1764405] Tue, 30 May 2017 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Quote:
Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
Cannot access memory at address 0x75af355b

This looks a little like there is a breakpoint in the Breakpoints window that is set incorrectly. Do you have a pop-up as well when it fails? Try removing all breakpoints.

Quote:
Is this an active forum?

Yes, but the way I monitor new posts broke last week and I didn't realize that there were posts until I saw your new post this morning.
Re: Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10 [message #1764480 is a reply to message #1764478] Tue, 30 May 2017 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS This looks a lot like: https://stackoverflow.com/a/41453721/2796832 which has Bug 509894: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=509894 associated with it.
Re: Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10 [message #1764909 is a reply to message #1764480] Sat, 03 June 2017 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I managed to removed MinGW64 and remove Eclipse Neon C++ IDE in the extracted folder C:\Software Development\Download\eclipse-cpp-neon-3-win32-x86_64\eclipse followed by reboot Windows 10.

I then extracted Eclipse to C:\Software Development\eclipse-cpp-neon-3-win32-x86_64\eclipse and install MinGW using the correct installer from www.mingw.org successfully.

Have also updated MINGW_HOME=C:\MinGW and PATH=C:\MinGW\bin on Windows environment variables and in Eclipse Preference C/C++ Build Environment.

Both Eclipse & MinGW are working except the step into / over (F5/F6) debugger function are not available / active, even though it does stop at the breakpoint that was set. The only option available in is to terminate the Hello World program.

Have I missed anything else.

Any assistance would be appreciated before I give up using this product and just buy VS2017 that does not have any of these hassles.

Thanks,

George
Re: Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10 [message #1764974 is a reply to message #1764909] Mon, 05 June 2017 09:43 Go to previous message
Quote:
Both Eclipse & MinGW are working except the step into / over (F5/F6) debugger function are not available / active, even though it does stop at the breakpoint that was set. The only option available in is to terminate the Hello World program.

Are you finding the Resume (F8) is enabled, but step is not? Do you have a Frame selected in the Debug view (as opposed to a launch)?

index.php/fa/29559/0/

If that is not the problem, then this is a new one for me. Please help me to reproduce it.
  • Attachment: resume.png
    (Size: 66.13KB, Downloaded 1951 times)
Previous Topic:Pleased with Eclipse
Next Topic:Problem viewing const char** as array of cont char* with lldb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:50:48 GMT 2024