Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » git cloned c++ repository with no eclipse project configuration files(fixing missing IDE commodities)
git cloned c++ repository with no eclipse project configuration files [message #1760633] Sat, 29 April 2017 08:25 Go to next message
Gabriele Omodeo Vanone is currently offline Gabriele Omodeo VanoneFriend
Esteemed forum users,

please bear with me as I try to put this thing together.

Preamble: I've imported a git repository in eclipse with success. The repo missed the .project file.

Step 1: I created a new project in eclipse and linked it to source folder of my cloned repo. Now in my folders tree I have a .project file.

Issue: From the contextual menus in eclipse, under New-> there are no options for cpp source and/or header file. So now I have to manually include header guards and it's annoying.

How can I make it so that eclipse works as if a completely new cpp project was created? That is, I'd like to right click on my folders in the navigation view and hit New -> C++ file -> C++ header (at least).

I'm including my .project file in the remainder.

Please help, I'm really a newbie with short deadlines. Crying or Very Sad

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<projectDescription>
	<name>myProj</name>
	<comment></comment>
	<projects>
	</projects>
	<buildSpec>
	</buildSpec>
	<natures>
	</natures>
</projectDescription>

Re: git cloned c++ repository with no eclipse project configuration files [message #1760788 is a reply to message #1760633] Wed, 03 May 2017 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Try File --> Import... --> C/C++ --> Existing Code as Makefile Project

The project will be a CDT project and you will be able to add header and source files with File --> New

If you want a Makefile generated automatically you'll have to manually configure for it.
Starting with Project --> Properties --> C/C++ Build and check Generate Makefiles automatically
Getting multiple build configurations is somewhat tricky.
Suggest making an HelloWorld project to see how the project directory is organized and specified.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 May 2017 02:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: git cloned c++ repository with no eclipse project configuration files [message #1760874 is a reply to message #1760788] Wed, 03 May 2017 20:33 Go to previous message
Gabriele Omodeo Vanone is currently offline Gabriele Omodeo VanoneFriend
Thank you for the input!
Trying the Hello World project alone wasn't very useful, but in one respect: I got access to a fresh configured .project and .cproject files. I honestly was too concerned about the rest and did not think about that!

I fixed what seems to be the majority of troubles by simply copying the .cproject file in my project directory and adding instructions from dummy .project file to existing one.
Previous Topic:Syntax Checking
Next Topic:Losing C++11 settings in Neon.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:33:48 GMT 2024