Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can I have a simple editor?(Is there a way to turn off some of special stuff the editor does?)
Can I have a simple editor? [message #1760103] Sat, 22 April 2017 16:08 Go to next message
Chuck Pergiel is currently offline Chuck PergielFriend
Stuff gets highlighted for some unknown reason, and then the highlight disappears. Yellow underlines appear on several lines of code, also for some unknown reason, and then later it disappears. If I knew what these things were doing, and it was something I considered useful, that would be fine. But that is not the case so they are just distracting.

And what's with the disappearing scroll bar? Very cute, but I would like for it to stay visible at all times.

While we are on the margins, there are a bunch of splotches by the line numbers along the left hand edge of the editor window. What are they?

And what are all the little red and yellow boxes along the right hand edge? Very colorful, but useless as far as I can see.

I could probably find out what all these things are if I read the manual, but all I really want is to turn them off.

I am writing plain C language programs on Linux Mint.

Sent from my Commodore-64 via a US Robotics 300 Baud Modem
Re: Can I have a simple editor? [message #1760410 is a reply to message #1760103] Wed, 26 April 2017 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
The answer is: yes, use the Text Editor.
You can select it with Right Click on file --> Open With
If you want it as the default you'll have to change the file associations
Window --> Preferences --> General --> Editors --> file Associations

The scroll bar only appears when the window has focus. This is a GTK thing.

The right hand edge is showing annotations.
You can configure them by Right Clicking the right margin --> Preferences
or Window --> General --> Text Editors --> Annotations

The left hand shows flags for things like changed lines, line numbers, errors and information, folding indicators.

You can change editor preferences by Right Clicking the Editor window --> Preferences
or Window --> Preferences --> General --> C++ Editor for the CDT Editor.
Other editors can be configured with Window --> Preferences --> General --> Editors

Turning off everything is a long list.
Recommend you read the documentation.

Re: Can I have a simple editor? [message #1760417 is a reply to message #1760410] Wed, 26 April 2017 21:52 Go to previous message
Chuck Pergiel is currently offline Chuck PergielFriend
Thank you.

Sent from my Commodore-64 via a US Robotics 300 Baud Modem
Previous Topic:Linker can't "recognize" function, defined in another source file
Next Topic:Debug Perspective - data graph
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:46:55 GMT 2024