Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for eclipse&
Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for eclipse& [message #1760007] Fri, 21 April 2017 08:23 Go to next message
Pavel Yermolenko is currently offline Pavel YermolenkoFriend
Hello,

In the Altera design flow there is so-called softcore processor "NIOS II", that allows to program FPGA as a real processor. For this purposes Altera developed some specific version of Eclipse, named "Nios II software build tools for Eclipse". Also it looks like as Eclipse, the interface is a little bit different. For example, after long search, I still didn't find where can I set compiler options (e.g. -std=C99). Obviously the default compiler setting is C90 because I can't declare loop variable inside loop.
Is some aware of this tool and specifically of "compiler settings" issue.
I've already posted my request on Altera forum, but had no response.
Thanks in advance.
Pavel.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 April 2017 08:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760010 is a reply to message #1760007] Fri, 21 April 2017 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Sadly not likely much I can do here as I don't have the Altera tools available.

While Altera may have hidden too many options, hopefully they left the "Expert" settings available. You can add your flags in there:

index.php/fa/29098/0/
  • Attachment: expert.png
    (Size: 120.41KB, Downloaded 4310 times)
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760011 is a reply to message #1760010] Fri, 21 April 2017 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e.g. you can set expert settings to (note it is lower case c in c99):

${COMMAND} -std=c99 ${FLAGS} ${OUTPUT_FLAG} ${OUTPUT_PREFIX}${OUTPUT} ${INPUTS}
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760012 is a reply to message #1760011] Fri, 21 April 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Jonah,

Well, the interface of the Eclipse for NIOS II is different from classical Eclipse. The only location, where user can modify flags is here. I've tried to add "-std=C99" in User flags option (as you can see on screenshot). But it seems ... the tool refuse to accept it. When I click on Apply, nothing happens ... and when I open this Project Properties window once more, the User flags option is empty.A tool bug perhaps .... Moreover I'm not sure that "User flags" is right location for compiler flags.
https://s2.postimg.org/3trt8cfcp/Project_Properties_Try_to_set_Compiler_Option.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 21 April 2017 08:56]

Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760013 is a reply to message #1760012] Fri, 21 April 2017 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a tool bug. Just put it in warning flags if that works, and as you are using (and therefore paying for) Altera hardware, I would be in touch with real tech support.

Also, I see that you have "Nios II Application Properties" selected, does that mean that C/C++ Build -> Settings is empty?
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760020 is a reply to message #1760013] Fri, 21 April 2017 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the meantime I made several exercises with "User flags" option ... and after your last post also with "Warning flags". Interesting thing is discovered: these 2 options "don't like" the '=' sign !!! If I put either chain of characters and click on Apply, the modification is accepted, but once the sign '=' appears in that chain, the modification is rejected ... what I see when I open "Project properties" next time. So, perhaps, there is some another format, allowing to set compiler standard without '=' ?

Concerning C/C++ Build -> Settings, here is how it looks:
https://s28.postimg.org/u166a51jh/Project_Properties_C_Build_Settings.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 21 April 2017 09:26]

Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760022 is a reply to message #1760020] Fri, 21 April 2017 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just tried to specify the compiler options directly in makefile (please see the 1st screenshot), but the option "-std=C99" wasn't recognized by compiler (please, see the 2nd screenshot).
https://s10.postimg.org/bk0n4g72h/Project_Properties_Try_to_set_Compiler_Option_in.jpg

https://s7.postimg.org/rc31dke4b/Project_Properties_Try_to_set_Compiler_Option_in.jpg
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760025 is a reply to message #1760022] Fri, 21 April 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I hid fact in another comment:

Quote:
e.g. you can set expert settings to (note it is lower case c in c99):

You need lower case c.

As for the equals not being allowed, someone is just having a laugh with you, so I am sorry to hear that. I don't know any other way to write that command line option.
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760029 is a reply to message #1760025] Fri, 21 April 2017 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes !!!
With -std=c99 it works ! But again, only if I specify it directly in the makefile. But what about "User Interface", that doesn't accept '=' sign ? And that is true, trust me, it's not a joke. Probably does exist some option somewhere in Eclipse, that specifies "system reserved characters" or something like this.
Anyway thanks for your hint. Although not very convenient, but I can work with makefile ... if this annoying issue reveals a tool bug.
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760047 is a reply to message #1760029] Fri, 21 April 2017 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really a joke, a pain in the ass obviously.

However not one Eclipse can take credit for. The "Nios II Application Properties" is not part of Eclipse and is just an add-on written by Altera or one of their suppliers. The lack of ability to specify equals sign is not part of Eclipse code base at all.

Quote:
Probably does exist some option somewhere in Eclipse, that specifies "system reserved characters" or something like this.

Sadly not, you should get in touch with Altera tech support (https://www.altera.com/myaltera/mal-home.html) to have your issue resolved.

I am pleased you found a work around in the meantime though.
Re: Can't find the location for the compiler settings in "Nios II software build tools for ecli [message #1760052 is a reply to message #1760047] Fri, 21 April 2017 13:51 Go to previous message
Ok, thanks Jonah.
Previous Topic:Remote debugging Beagle Board?
Next Topic:RadioHead library for Arduino CDT anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:25:10 GMT 2024