Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak?(Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak?)
Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak? [message #1759550] Wed, 12 April 2017 21:40 Go to next message
Emily Gouge is currently offline Emily GougeFriend
Hi,

I am using BIRT (4.4.1) with Tomcat (8.0.27). When I undeploy my app (or shutdown tomcat) I get the following warning.

WARNING: The web application [server] appears to have started a thread named [Timer-0] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

I am shutting down the BIRT engine when the context is destroyed as follows:
birtEngine.destroy();
Platform.shutdown();

I think I tracked the problem down to a Timer thread created in the org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.CacheIDFetcher class:
private CacheIDFetcher ()
{
	this.activeCacheIDs = new java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap<String, Long>( );
	Timer timer = new Timer( true );
	TimerTask task = new CacheIDPurgeTimeTask( );
	timer.schedule( task, 0, idleTime );
}

There seems to be no way to access or cancel this timer thread. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Emily

Re: Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak? [message #1769949 is a reply to message #1759550] Sun, 06 August 2017 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roads Roads is currently offline Roads RoadsFriend
Hi Emily,

I'm facing the same issue. Did you manage to resolve it?

Thanks.
Re: Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak? [message #1770281 is a reply to message #1769949] Wed, 09 August 2017 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emily Gouge is currently offline Emily GougeFriend
No. We just ended up making it a policy to shutdown & restart tomcat.
Re: Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak? [message #1790931 is a reply to message #1770281] Wed, 20 June 2018 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wenhsiaoyi Mising name is currently offline wenhsiaoyi Mising nameFriend
I have the same issue.
BIRT (4.7) with Tomcat (8.5).

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [probe] appears to have started a thread named [Probe_Quartz-5] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:568)

Re: Tomcat Shutdown & TimerThread leak? [message #1794777 is a reply to message #1759550] Thu, 06 September 2018 11:30 Go to previous message
Mahesh C is currently offline Mahesh CFriend
We are also facing same issue wherein this timer thread can not be stopped and after many deploy/undeploy cycles on server, there will be many threads and they will not allow to GC the classloader eventually filling up the permgen/metaspace and causing Out Of Memory.

Is there any fix available for this issue now?
Previous Topic:Is it possible to create "bar of pie" chart in BIRT like in excel?
Next Topic:Java 8 BIRT Issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:09:23 GMT 2024