Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server?
Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1757913] Tue, 21 March 2017 19:05 Go to next message
Izak van Langevelde is currently offline Izak van LangeveldeFriend
I can create, deploy and run a simple project with a .jsp where I combine java and html.

However, I cannot wrap my head around using simple tags like <f:view>.
Whatever I do, the taglibs
<%@ taglib ...>
are flagged with "Can not find the tag library descriptor..." errors, and subsequent use of tags yield an "Unknown tag <f:view>" error.

I have found lots of old issues with tag libraries, which could be resolved by adding the right library to the project, but nothing more recent (running eclipse neon), so I guess I am overlooking something real basic. Any help is appreciated...
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1757916 is a reply to message #1757913] Tue, 21 March 2017 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The first question is whether your page runs anyway, with the project correctly targeting and compiling against WildFly (instead of something different like the built-in "J2EE Preview"). Then, if so, it comes to why the JSF library is not being found within Eclipse. So, does the page run?

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1757918 is a reply to message #1757916] Tue, 21 March 2017 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I mentioned, I can run my project. It runs on server, outside eclipse.
That is, the project runs without tags added, just java and html.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2017 20:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1757922 is a reply to message #1757918] Tue, 21 March 2017 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The interesting part, for this question, is what happens with the tags added.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1757924 is a reply to message #1757922] Tue, 21 March 2017 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Tue, 21 March 2017 20:49
The interesting part, for this question, is what happens with the tags added.

It gives the errors mentioned above, the project cannot be built.
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1757931 is a reply to message #1757924] Tue, 21 March 2017 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Are you unable to launch it regardless? Is there any configuration you're supposed to do to enable JSF on WildFly?

Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1758080 is a reply to message #1757931] Thu, 23 March 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Tue, 21 March 2017 22:22
Are you unable to launch it regardless? Is there any configuration you're supposed to do to enable JSF on WildFly?

I cannot compile, build or deploy the .jsp file; the server is running. I don't think Wildfly needs to be tweaked to enable JSF.

I can easily reproduce the problem:
1. Create Dynamic Web Project, targetting WIldfly 10.x runtime, enable JavaServer Faces facet
2. Add .jsp file (the default template gives you a <f:view> tag
3. Open the newly created .jsp file: the taglibs are marked as error.

I would appreciate if someone out there could try this one for me to check whether it works...
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1758123 is a reply to message #1758080] Thu, 23 March 2017 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just found out that using Glassfish instead of Wildfly gives me exactly the same errors.
I guess the problem does not depend on the application server used.
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1758124 is a reply to message #1758123] Thu, 23 March 2017 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could someone out there running Ubuntu check whether the above works, and let me know about versions of eclipse and server?
Re: Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server? [message #1758275 is a reply to message #1758124] Sun, 26 March 2017 20:13 Go to previous message
Finally got this sorted out: I did a complete reinstall of eclipse and tools, and this finally started to make sense.
Looks like eclipse got screwed up in silence.
Previous Topic:Eclipse EE Neon No Server tab in Java Perspective
Next Topic:server and eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jan 21 18:58:30 GMT 2018