Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtend Graph Transformation
Xtend Graph Transformation [message #1756450] Fri, 17 March 2017 06:38 Go to next message
Nicholas Kong is currently offline Nicholas KongFriend
Dear all,

When I read Xtend guide to learn Xtend program language. The 'Create Methods' part makes me unclear.

'Create methods in Xtend allow to do graph transformation in one pass where it usually needs two passes....'

Does anyone who knows the meanning of 'graph transformation'?

Thanks
Re: Xtend Graph Transformation [message #1756452 is a reply to message #1756450] Fri, 17 March 2017 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
A alternative term Graph Transformation is model 2 model transformation.

=> you turn one graph of objects into another graph of objects

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Xtend Graph Transformation [message #1756506 is a reply to message #1756452] Sat, 18 March 2017 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha, I see.
Is it using the 'Graph Patterns' to do de transforamtion?
This word 'Graph ' makes me confuse.
Re: Xtend Graph Transformation [message #1756508 is a reply to message #1756506] Sat, 18 March 2017 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

In the mathematical sense we have trees, without cross-links, and graphs with cross-links. An EMF model with only containment relationships is a tree. As soon as you introduce non-containment references, an EMF model can be a graph.

We normally use the term model transformation for transformation of models since at the Java-text / Ecore-tree / Xtext-text / Emfatic-text / OCLinEcore-text we ignore the graphical picture.

In contrast there is a strong graph transformation community who concentrate on the much stronger discipline associated with the visual representation and patterns. UML, Ecore Tools and the Henshin and UMLX exploit the strong model/graph equivalence.

Your original quote therefore highlights a statement that while factually correct is easily over-read and so confusing; much better if it has said "transformation of graphs".

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Xtend Graph Transformation [message #1757801 is a reply to message #1756508] Mon, 20 March 2017 03:34 Go to previous message
Hi Ed Willink,

Thanks a lot for your clear description. It's very helpful for me. Razz
I think I have a long way to go.

Best,
Nicholas Kong
Previous Topic:terminal rule - error (Decision can match input..)
Next Topic:using reserved keyword in grammar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:59:01 GMT 2024