Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Understanding of Triggers
Understanding of Triggers [message #1756182] Mon, 13 March 2017 15:01 Go to next message
Malte Brunnlieb is currently offline Malte BrunnliebFriend
Hi,

I have some issues with the understanding of the triggers.
I want to set the workspace.location variable if running the initial installation if the user has already selected a project to be setup. However, I do want to set the workspace.location variable to the current workspace if the user opens up 'import project' within a running eclipse.

So I was setting the workspace.location to value A with BOOTSTRAP to set A within the installation dialog. In addition, I set the value B with the current workspace (${osgi.instance.area|trimTrailingSlashes}) on STARTUP and MANUAL to cover the second case.
Basically, this does not seem to work out. On starting a new installation, the workspace.location will be set the the installer configuration folder, which basically is the value B. Why is the second task already performed in the installer?

The documentation states:

Quote:
Bootstrap applies when using the installer wizard.
Startup applies when a product is first launched, automated task performance is enabled, and there are tasks that need to be performed, at which point the execution wizard will be opened on the progressPage page.
Manual applies when invoking the project wizard or directly invoking execution wizard.

This kind of sounds like the triggers are coupled to the wizard pages shown, are they? So I am not able to distinguish the two cases described above with triggers as all three wizard pages will be opened on installation when also selecting a project to be setup?
Re: Understanding of Triggers [message #1756191 is a reply to message #1756182] Mon, 13 March 2017 17:11 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Why do you need to set the workspace.location? There are so-called attribute rules for where the workspace located and how they're named. When you import a project, it's computed from the current workspace's location. Why do you need something else? The osgi.instance.area is only useful/needed if you want to specify a task that operates on the workspace location and you don't want to specify that task in a project setup, but in a setup where there might be no workspace task (e.g., the user.setup or a project setup) hence no workspace.location variable; in that case, you'll want to be careful to exclude bootstrap trigger for that task, because the installer's osgi.instance.area is not likely something you want to modify (and isn't really even a workspace, but rather is the configuration folder).

The bootstrap trigger applies only during installation. The other two triggers apply in a running IDE. Startup is triggered automatically on start and manual is triggered manually, either by performing tasks or by importing projects. It doesn't not depend on pages.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:File reference of a modular target in project profile?
Next Topic:Toggle Source/Header not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:38:06 GMT 2024