Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Beginner Java Developer Tips(Java Tips needed.)
Beginner Java Developer Tips [message #1754905] Thu, 23 February 2017 19:08 Go to next message
Gregory Sagehorn is currently offline Gregory SagehornFriend
I have been programming in C# for a while now and now I want to go over to Java. I have seen a few tutorials online and and watching some but if you have any tips I could have it would be greatly appreciated. if you leave some places down that I can look at, that would rock. Razz
Re: Beginner Java Developer Tips [message #1758203 is a reply to message #1754905] Fri, 24 March 2017 15:51 Go to previous message
martin madera is currently offline martin maderaFriend
Hi,

at my work I was just moved to Java project (SWT, Eclipse RCP) from C# (WPF, WCF) so I hope I could give you some tips.

The tooling is a little bit different. There are three main IDEs (you probably already know that Wink ), Eclipse being probably the most popular. But learning Eclipse is as hard as learning Visual Studio (not harder, not easier). Give it a little bit of time Smile .

Then there are build systems. If you are not creating an Eclipse RCP application, I suggest learning Maven. It's more than just build system, it manages dependencies as well. Imagine MSBuild+Nuget combined.

Libraries are different as well, but nothing to worry about.

Language ... well, the C# is stolen Java. There were a lot of things added to C# (Linq, async/await...) but the base is the same. You know C#, you can learn Java with ease. If you can use Java 8, there's stream library (and lambdas) - they differ from Linq but you can learn them quickly. What I miss in Java is the async/await, pointers, events and Linq to Entities. What Java has good are enums and default implementation of methods in interfaces.

If you want to make a desktop application, I would suggest looking at JavaFX as replacement for WPF for fancy UI, Eclipse RCP for line-of business application (imagine beefed-up Prism with UI using native widgets) and for web applications - Spring MVC. If you know MS MVC for C# and you have used some DI containers there (Autofac), you can learn Spring quickly. Especially using Spring Boot, where Spring comes sensibly preconfigured.

Java is a different world but nothing to be scared about.

It's very hard to answer such general question. Could you be more specific, please?
Previous Topic:Marketplace
Next Topic:Eclipse java IDE for Report Developers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:31:35 GMT 2024