Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debugging problems with lldb & gdb on Mac with Neon
Debugging problems with lldb & gdb on Mac with Neon [message #1753483] Tue, 07 February 2017 00:52 Go to next message
John Esposito is currently offline John EspositoFriend
Greetings all.

I am trying to debug a C++ program using Neon on El Capitan. I am having two problems:

Using lldb: for some reason I cannot edit variables while in a breakpoint.
Using gdb: stuck during launch at 62% "Initializing debugging services". (Aside: I can use Terminal to launch the application using gdb and run the program, so it doesn't appear to be a gdb problem).

I have found very little regarding lldb on Eclipse. As for the gdb problem, I have seen a few postings on the web but no resolutions have been posted.

This is very frustrating (as you can imagine) as I am trying to gain experience with developing applications using Eclipse.

Any help with either of these problems is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
John
Re: Debugging problems with lldb & gdb on Mac with Neon [message #1753639 is a reply to message #1753483] Wed, 08 February 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Freidin is currently offline Alex FreidinFriend
Check your workspace LOG for exceptions appended when launching GDB.
Re: Debugging problems with lldb & gdb on Mac with Neon [message #1753641 is a reply to message #1753639] Wed, 08 February 2017 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Esposito is currently offline John EspositoFriend
Hi Alex.

I did check the log files and saw the following two curious entries:
------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.launchbar.core 2 0 2017-02-07 10:14:57.896
!MESSAGE Enablement expression is missing for descriptor type org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core.coreBuildDescriptorType

!ENTRY org.eclipse.launchbar.core 2 0 2017-02-07 10:14:57.896
!MESSAGE Enablement expression is missing for config provider for org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core.coreBuildDescriptorType
------

I investigated these entries, but was unable to find information on them or how to resolve them. As a check, I tried NetBeans and was able to use gdb, so it's clear to me that I have an issue with Eclipse. Do you have any insight?

Best regards,
John
Re: Debugging problems with lldb & gdb on Mac with Neon [message #1753643 is a reply to message #1753639] Wed, 08 February 2017 11:49 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
I don't know the problem with the LLDB issue. However AFAIK LLDB is still experimental. See Bug 405670 to see current progress.

Quote:
Using gdb: stuck during launch at 62% "Initializing debugging services". (Aside: I can use Terminal to launch the application using gdb and run the program, so it doesn't appear to be a gdb problem).

This is a known problem in CDT 9.2, See Bug 509737. It is fixed for 9.2.1 released in a month or so. Your choices are to downgrade CDT to 9.1 or to install the most recent, but unreleased, build of 9.2.1: https://ci.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-9.2/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/releng/org.eclipse.cdt.repo/target/org.eclipse.cdt.repo.zip

I hope that helps a little.
Previous Topic:Newcomer needs advice
Next Topic:Adding printf causes auto makefile to yield 'recipe for target' Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:10:13 GMT 2024