Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Status of and information about org.eclipse.fx.text.ui.source etc
Status of and information about org.eclipse.fx.text.ui.source etc [message #1752166] Thu, 19 January 2017 11:59 Go to next message
Thomas Quarendon is currently offline Thomas QuarendonFriend
I'm intrigued by the org.eclipse.fx.text.ui packages, a port of the eclipse editor framework to run on JavaFX.

What's the status of this? How mature is this? There seem to be recent commits, but it's difficult to tell, for example, what version of the eclipse API this is compatible with. Is the intention that this project tracks the development of the standard version within Eclipse? Is there anywhere I can find more information about this project?

We are currently looking at doing some work in JavaFX, and have a complex syntax highlighting implementation that we'd like to make use of, and on the face of it this seems ideal. I was originally hoping it would be a simple case of pointing the FX SourceViewer at our existing SourceViewerConfiguration, but I guess the SWT goes further in to the code base than that, given the number of classes that seem to have been replicated.

Thanks.
Re: Status of and information about org.eclipse.fx.text.ui.source etc [message #1752310 is a reply to message #1752166] Fri, 20 January 2017 21:17 Go to previous message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Right the complete code editor framework is a based upon the Eclipse Text and Eclipse JFace Text framework. We are using the Eclipse Text API unmodified.

The Eclipse JFace Text bits have been forked (because they use SWT-APIs) and are now using JavaFX semantics. We are not using colors and font directly but assign CSS-Classes to portions of the text.

There's not a lot of documentation [1] (beside various blog entries from me) but there are commercial projects built on top of it already and BestSolution.at the company I work for provides support, training, feature development for the complete stack.

Our current "bottleneck" is the StyledTextArea which is something we plan to attack for the release after 3.0 (we already have very interesting prototypes), the most minimal but not updated to follow the current development stream is - https://github.com/BestSolution-at/eclipsemag.fx.styledtext/tree/master/eclipsemag.fx.styledtext/src/main/java/eclipsemag/fx/styledtext

As I said, in case you need to help to get bootstrapped on the e(fx)clipse code editing framework feel free to get in touch with us. Just mail tom.schindl@bestsolution.at

[1]https://wiki.eclipse.org/Efxclipse/SmartCode
Previous Topic:e4 application does not start
Next Topic:ClassLoaderHook
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 20 06:23:05 GMT 2017