Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Neon has installed almost everything on my C drive!
Eclipse Neon has installed almost everything on my C drive! [message #1751576] Wed, 11 January 2017 15:52 Go to next message
neil Mising name is currently offline neil Mising nameFriend
Hello,
I have limited space on my C drive, hence installing Eclipse in my E drive. After installation I find that about 1mb is on my E drive and all the rest is on my C drive!

Any idea how to get Eclipse to actually install in the folder I want? in previous versions all plugins went into the plugins folder of the install, but it seems Neon wants to install everything into a .p2 folder in my user folder.

Which is also pretty useless too if I wanted Eclipse to be available to other users.

Why can't installers honour the drive selected for install? in the good old days you could just copy/paste Eclipse. Now with this oomph installer it seems it only knows about a C drive local users...

thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 January 2017 15:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Neon has installed almost everything on my C drive! [message #1751590 is a reply to message #1751576] Wed, 11 January 2017 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The installer used a pool by default, ~/.p2.pool. You can change the location of the pool it uses. You might want to delete the pool and your installation and start again if disk space is critically low on your C: drive. You can specify the location of the pool via the menu item for that in the simple installer; in the advanced installer it's on the first page. Note I had the same problem on my old machine; very little space on the C: drive, so I wanted everything on the D: drive, and there I located the pool there as well.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Neon has installed almost everything on my C drive! [message #1751594 is a reply to message #1751590] Wed, 11 January 2017 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neil Mising name is currently offline neil Mising nameFriend
Thanks. There's a whole load of other folders too. If it's in the oomph dialogs I'll reinstall.

Not terribly impressed with the way it handles installation folders to be honest...
Re: Eclipse Neon has installed almost everything on my C drive! [message #1751597 is a reply to message #1751594] Wed, 11 January 2017 18:07 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The only folder with lots of large content to be concerned about is the pool. The installation itself, as you noticed, is very small. You could have dozens of them, and they'd all share the files. And of course there are always defaults, and defaults are never good for everyone. So while most will be happy, some will not. You're one of them. That's unfortunate. Note that you can even disable there being a pool so you'll end up with an installation with everything in the installation. But that's not the default either. And if you have several installations, you'll waste a lot of space, which might not be a problem for you.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse Neon brand new install fails on no repository found
Next Topic:New Project java.lang.SecurityException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:18:50 GMT 2024