Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » How To Get Started With RCP In Oxygen(Tried RCP Cheat Sheets, But Am Confused)
How To Get Started With RCP In Oxygen [message #1750918] Sun, 01 January 2017 22:01
Scott Pedigo is currently offline Scott PedigoFriend
I am trying to learn how to create an RCP app, but am having trouble even getting to the Hello, World stage. I want to know the best way to get started, given that I'm using the latest Eclipse release.

I have a fair amount of experience in Java and Swing, very little with SWT. I have made small fixes to the UI of an existing RCP application at work, but never set one up myself, so I don't have any knowledge of the fundamentals of plug-ins or RCP.

I've searched for RCP how-to's, but the ones I found ranged from a decade old to a year and half old, whereby even the latest one was for back when the features were still in e4 development.

I tried the cheat sheet for developing an RCP app in Oxygen, but the reality deviated from the script fairly quickly, leaving me confused as to how to proceed. What I saw in dialogs didn't match the descriptions, when I clicked the link to test the app I had errors due to missing dependencies, etc.

I'm running Eclipse on a Windows 7 platform, with Java 8u111, and the Oxygen Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers release.

I have some experience in J2EE MVC apps, using Struts or Spring. Conversely, I can get Swing-based apps to do pretty much anything I want, with action handlers, listeners, layout managers, etc.

From the how-to's that I did try to go through, it looks like the RCP way to do things would be to create multiple Eclipse projects for the model and view, and add the UI components via Eclipse editor which creates then in a project file, rather than directly in Java.

Is there an up-to-date (as in for Neon or Oxygen) RCP how-to somewhere?
Previous Topic:Hiding "Build Project" and "Clean Project" menu entries
Next Topic:Create Java Editor Using Eclipse RCP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 21 13:22:31 GMT 2018