Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Can't view variables when debugging(When I debug, it says terminated, exit value > 0. I set a breakpoint but it is ignored.)
Can't view variables when debugging [message #1750685] Sun, 25 December 2016 10:56 Go to next message
Michael Leach is currently offline Michael LeachFriend
I have 2 screenshots in the attached file.

I'm using Eclipse Neon and Java SE 8.0.

I am trying to debug a simple program. I'm just testing the debugger to see how all of this works.

First notice that my breakpoint isn't a perfect circle, rather it has a backslash through it. Not sure if this is a problem, but I added this by double clicking in the left margin.

The breakpoint is set at the call to the "getStudent" method.

I was hoping to step into that method, then checking the value of the "student' variable which should be "Howard."

I just want to see how this feature of debugging works, where you can check the values of each variable.

Also note at the top that in the Debug view, it says "terminated, exit value." I suspect this might have something to do with the problem.

So why isn't the debugger stopping at the breakpoint?
Why is the Variable view pane empty?

I am totally new to this.
Re: Can't view variables when debugging [message #1750852 is a reply to message #1750685] Fri, 30 December 2016 08:08 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You've disabled all breakpoints. Do you see the breakpoint toolbar button (the button with the breakpoint icon) that you appear to have clicked to disable not just one breakpoint but all breakpoints?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:The new indexing
Next Topic:Blocking Git commit when special tag found in code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:11:00 GMT 2024