Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse and networking stuff - poor aplication response time(how networking staff works in Eclipse?)
Eclipse and networking stuff - poor aplication response time [message #1750554] Thu, 22 December 2016 14:26 Go to next message
Filip Drzewiecki is currently offline Filip DrzewieckiFriend
Hello,

I'm working with RDi application which IDE for iSeries platform and it is based on Eclipse. We also use TurnOver software which is plugin to RDI and TO is also build on Eclipse. TurnOver is plugin which we use for source management like editing/compiling sources and pushing them to higher level (from test to QA for example). Problem is that it looks like Eclipse handle networking stuff in a very poor way.

Conclusion is more or less the same; we can see the application response going up linear with the network delay.
Numbers mostly around 60ms which is normal and all firewalls were disabled for tests.
But it seems the application is sending an awful lot of small packets.
But you can understand that if it takes 100 packets to send and receive query & response, you need to multiply that by the response time 100 x 60ms= 6 seconds and in some cases we have 300000 packets and then application freeze for like 10 minutes.

I have ask software supplier and they told me that they have not touched "network part" of eclipse. I'm not sure if they lie or not because I never worked with "pure" eclipse.

We have installed this plugin as iSeries application directly on our server. In that case it works like it should and response time is max few seconds. I'f Im few kilemeters away from our servers than response time is ok but if I'm working from another Country that response.

My question is where I can find details how networking/packet handling etc works in Eclipse.
Re: Eclipse and networking stuff - poor aplication response time [message #1750588 is a reply to message #1750554] Fri, 23 December 2016 06:21 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Sorry, but there's no way for anyone here to know how RDi implements its network communication. It might just be using what's in the JDK, or more likely utilities from various Apache libraries, of perhaps ECF, but even that is based on Apache libraries. But all of those are based on overall HTTP requests and it's up to the client of that framework to minimize the number of requests. Decomposing the traffic into packets is done purely at the JDK level.

In the end, the UI freezing is bad UI design, because network traffic takes arbitrarily long. Even a single HTTP request that can take more than a minute if the server is unresponsive, the timeout is long, and perhaps even several retries are involved. All such communication should be done on a background thread so it might still take a long time, but the application is not frozen. E.g., a web browser doesn't freeze on a slow page, the page just takes long to load. Applications can often improve performance by using multiple threads. Most network communication delay is in waiting to get something back, so doing 10-30 requests in parallel can often result in an application that runs 10-30 times faster. E.g., for Oomph's Eclipse Installer, we load all the update site metadata on separate threads in parallel, and while actually installer, we using 10 threads to download the artifacts (plugins and features) in parallel...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Type Access Rules
Next Topic:Help Minimized
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:35:04 GMT 2024