Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » My title - a not very intelligent newbie.(Updating very old software.)
My title - a not very intelligent newbie. [message #1750066] Thu, 15 December 2016 16:01 Go to next message
martin welsh is currently offline martin welshFriend
I am trying to update software written in 1985 ish.
How do I load the software into eclipse in order to check whether all the relevant components are still working and to revise the software packaging from auto tools to cmake.

The tutorials diligently explain every thing with one file/folder whilst the programme that I wish to check/modify comprises a number of folders that are all linked to run the programme.

The name of the programme is "hk_classes" and it processes database information to prepare it for display in another kde programme "knoda"

martin welsh
Re: My title - a not very intelligent newbie. [message #1750192 is a reply to message #1750066] Sat, 17 December 2016 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
You can stat by doing File --> Import --> C/C++ --> Existing Code as A Makefile Project or Autotools if you like.
Autotools and CMake will generate the makefile which will execute on Project --> Buuld Project.

As for converting autools to CMake, you're on your own.
In my experience, Eclipse really doesn't play well with either autotools or CMake.
I've found it best to run them externally and only use Eclipse for editing their configurations files.

You may be interested in cmake4eclipse (https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/cmake4eclipse).
There are other tools. See the sidebar in the above link.
Never used any of them and can't vouch for them.

Re: My title - a not very intelligent newbie. [message #1750211 is a reply to message #1750192] Sun, 18 December 2016 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you David I will take your advice and see how I get on.
Will keep you posted.

martin welsh
Re: My title - a not very intelligent newbie. [message #1750278 is a reply to message #1750211] Mon, 19 December 2016 13:04 Go to previous message
Following your instructions enabled the installation of the complete programme.
An initial run indicates that fontconfig has lots of errors but probably no more than are to be expected after 20 years.
You have let me loose and I will beaver away with autotools and then cmake to hopefully create an up to date version of a very good database gui.

Happy Christmas,

martin welsh
Previous Topic:Default constructor & faulty warning
Next Topic:How to run another application from Eclipse CDT application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:43:14 GMT 2024