Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Will egit create a "generic" local branch name if the remote branch name is very long?
Will egit create a "generic" local branch name if the remote branch name is very long? [message #1749372] Mon, 05 December 2016 23:11
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I often will want to check out pull request branches that are created by other people on the team. In Egit, when I say "Switch to ...", I have to select the remote branch, and it asks me if I want to create a local branch, and I confirm that. What I think I'm seeing is that if the remote branch name is somewhat long, Eclipse/Egit will create a somewhat generic local branch name.

For instance, I checked out a remote branch calls "PomsRestored ..." (total of 50 characters long), and EGit ended up creating a local branch for this called "task_7-USL_Jenkins_Pipeline_Jo". I have no idea what the "task_7" refers to, but I have a repo named "USL_JENKINS" that has a "pipeline job" defined in it. I'm not sure how it decides to concatenate those pieces.

What I really want is for the local branch name to be the same as the remote branch name. If there' s a length threshold that makes Egit go into this mode where it gives an alternate name, I need to know what that is.
Previous Topic:JGIT with LFS: Archive does not has actual files
Next Topic:File diffs always show whitespace changes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:14:14 GMT 2024