Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » jEdit/Eclipse Interface Tools(Using jEdit with Eclipse)
jEdit/Eclipse Interface Tools [message #1748974] Wed, 30 November 2016 16:15 Go to next message
Steve Pritchard is currently offline Steve PritchardFriend
Found on GitHub, https://github.com/srp7474/jEdit-Eclipse-Interface/blob/master/README.md the jEdit/Eclipse Interface Tools repo contains the tools (windows based) that are used to build an interface between jEdit and Eclipse.

This is my opportunity to give back to the community.

The rational for this is as follows:

Eclipse is the best ever compiler with fantastic dependency checking and incremental compile facilities. jEdit will never catch up.

jEdit is a very flexible editor built by programmers for programmers. I have already added several customizations such as hotJump that have saved plenty of time. Its hypersearch capability is the best find interface I have ever used, especially for program code files. Eclipse will never catch up.

The Solution

Eclipse provides the capability to listen to the compile errors. The UDPMarkerListener provided in this repo does just that. It compresses the compile error message(s) into a single package and broadcasts it via a UDP port.

The other part, the jEdit plugin called UDPErrors listens for the broadcast and populates the Error window provided by the ErrorList plugin.

Besides being pleasant to use, my productivity since implementing this interface has dramtically increased.

The result is that I am able to benefit from the best-of-breed qualities of two components required for speedy program development.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 December 2016 01:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: jEdit/Eclipse Interface Tools [message #1748994 is a reply to message #1748974] Wed, 30 November 2016 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Sounds cool.

Quote:
Its [JEdit] hypersearch capability is the best find interface I have ever used, especially for program code files.

Do you care to tell us, what search capabilities you see missing in JDT?

thanks,
Stephan
Re: jEdit/Eclipse Interface Tools [message #1749639 is a reply to message #1748994] Fri, 09 December 2016 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Pritchard is currently offline Steve PritchardFriend
Hi Stephen

Probably Eclipse search capabilities are as good as (or better with Java since it has parsed the code) once learned.

However, from what I understand Eclipse editors have no Multi-Cursor support (column mode editing) and macro support. Just these 2 features alone make using Eclipse problematic for me on a long term basis.

Other features I use in an editor that Eclipse may not support and which I find indispensible:

single key cut/copy/paste

auto-save on task switch

I created a blog that goes into more detail at http://elongated-systems.blogspot.ca/2016/12/entering-best-editor-fray.html

Steve
Re: jEdit/Eclipse Interface Tools [message #1749686 is a reply to message #1749639] Fri, 09 December 2016 16:48 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Steve Pritchard wrote on Fri, 09 December 2016 02:09
Hi Stephen

Probably Eclipse search capabilities are as good as (or better with Java since it has parsed the code) once learned.

I thought search was your main point, well ...

Quote:

However, from what I understand Eclipse editors have no Multi-Cursor support (column mode editing)

In case column mode editing == column selection mode, see 3rd item in http://help.eclipse.org/neon/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/reference/views/ref-java-editor.htm

Quote:

and macro support.

This could be provided by Eclipse EASE, but I've never used that.

Quote:
single key cut/copy/paste

Keybindings can be reconfigured of course, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "single key".

Quote:

auto-save on task switch

Eclipse has auto-save, if that isn't smart enough, a RFE should have good chances.

I agree, that some of these features may not directly jump in your face, but most of them are certainly available.

cheers,
Stephan
Previous Topic:Neon fails to install on Ubuntu 16.04
Next Topic:How to resize the contents of the runtime window?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:59:40 GMT 2024