Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Latest Eclipse (Linker option still not working )
Latest Eclipse [message #1748007] Thu, 17 November 2016 16:31 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
Up front so there is no misunderstanding of my "attitude" and there is no controversy.
I fully understand this is user's supported forum and the lack of responses proves that.

That is not an issue.

The issue is "the latest" Ellipse download STILL not working linker -L /-l options.
For example attempt to add -l file the dialog will flash something but gives NO search option to add the file.
So my question to the forum - does anybody actually uses linker options to link to external resources?
The linker dialog titles are frozen it time - adding link file title is " Enter value" , adding include FILE ask for "add directory PATH" - it should be "adding FILE" since the path is or should be already specified via l _L option.

End of rant , I had enough of Eclipse.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2016 16:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Latest Eclipse [message #1748020 is a reply to message #1748007] Thu, 17 November 2016 19:52 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
The problem is you don't seem to understand what GCC wants for the options.
Refer to: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Preprocessor-Options.html#Preprocessor-Options

For the linking phase (the actual program is ld),
-L is used to add a directory to the library search list. GCC expects a path
-l (small L) is used for shorthand reference to files with specific naming conventions. No path specification is allowed with -l

Maybe an enhancement to Eclipse would allow you to search for a library and then strip the name to fit the convention but users generally know what libraries they need along with their names.

For includes with the compiler,
-I (capital i) specifies a directory to be added to the include search path
-include can specify either a file without a path OR a file WITH either a relative or absolute path. GCC will try prepending directories in the search path if the path is not specified. Note that the documentation uses the word file for -include and the word path for -I

You might want to familiarize yourself with all of the GCC options. Here is a summary of them
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Option-Summary.html

Understand that the tools in the tool chain are external to Eclipse. All that Eclipse does with the settings is use them to create makefile recipes that it hands off to make or the internal make emulator. If you are using the tools for plain vanilla projects you can get away with minimum understanding of how the tools work and what they expect. For anything else, Eclipse will remain a mystery unless you understand how to use the tools without Eclipse.

Previous Topic:Installing GDB Hardware Debugging
Next Topic:multiple definitions of main issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:55:01 GMT 2024