Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » DSF - GDB: Console view for application being debugged(Using DSF - GDB, cannot open a console view for the application being debugged.)
DSF - GDB: Console view for application being debugged [message #1747422] Mon, 14 November 2016 14:56 Go to next message
Jim Adams is currently offline Jim AdamsFriend
I have a CDT based IDE that was using the CDI to implement a gdb debug session for debugging an ARM processor via a jtag connection. With Neon dropping support for CDI, I am migrating the code to DSF-GDB. The CDI implementation would open three console views when a session was launched. One for gdb, one for OpenOCD / QEMU, and one for the application being debugged. If the application then printed output (e.g. printf), the output would show up in it's console view.

With the DSF-GDB implementation, only two console views are opened, one for gdb and one for OpenOCD / QEMU. There is no console view for the application being debugged. When the application executes a printf statement the output does not get displayed.

I have a class that extends org.eclipse.cdt.debug.gdbjtag.core.GDBJtagDSFFinalLaunchSequence. GDBJtagDSFFinalLaunchSequence is responsible for connecting the gdb session started by org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.FinalLaunchSequence to the jtag device connected to the hardware. With the old, CDI based code, when gdb is remotely connected to the target the console view was created. In the new code it is not created.

I can open a console view but I cannot find the application process to associate with the console view. The only processes I get from my launch object are the OpenOCD / QEMU and the gdb? Are there any suggestions on how I can get the third console view associate with the application output?

Thanks,
Jim
Re: DSF - GDB: Console view for application being debugged [message #1770107 is a reply to message #1747422] Tue, 08 August 2017 12:02 Go to previous message
Sergey Leontyev is currently offline Sergey LeontyevFriend
Don't know either how to run separate console with output from target device. My target is powerpc board with gdbserver on it, which connect through serial line with host.
I'm running Eclipse Neon.1a Release (4.6.1) with CDT Version: 9.1.0.201609121658

So, I have two consoles. Those are the sample outputs for simple "hello, world" program.
First Console [C/C++ Remote Application] ppc-cross-gdb (7.11.1):
Quote:

Temporary breakpoint 1, _start () at crt_load.S:27
27 lwi r3,_bss_start //r3 = start
[Inferior 1 (Remote target) exited normally]

Second Console [C/C++ Remote Apllication] gdb traces:
Quote:

&"Sending packet: $c#63..."
&"Ack\n"
&"Packet received: O48656c6c6f2c20576f726c640a\n"
@"Hello, World\n"
&"Packet received: W00\n"
~"[Inferior 1 (Remote target) exited normally]\n"

Target output have prefix "@" before output string. But thas isn't enough. Cause I need much time to find it.
Is there an option to make string @"Hello, World\n" bold or some other color?

In "Configure Workspace Settings..." there are options in Preferences -> Run/Debug -> Console:
- Show when program writes to standart out
- Show when program writes to standart error
But these options do nothing in my case.

I also found this discussion https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=437532 but don't understand what conclusions were made of it
Previous Topic:error compiling project in eclipse C++ for intel galileo
Next Topic:Identifying switching Perspective
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:29:12 GMT 2024