Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Does FORTE run on systems without OS
Does FORTE run on systems without OS [message #1746839] Sat, 05 November 2016 14:11 Go to next message
Franz Beckenbauer is currently offline Franz BeckenbauerFriend
I would like to use 4Diac in a project where I will be using a µC without operating system. Is it possible to install FORTE on systems without OS. If yes, how will it be done?
Re: Does FORTE run on systems without OS [message #1747035 is a reply to message #1746839] Tue, 08 November 2016 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend
Hi

the short answer is in principle yes.

The long answer is that in that case you need to implement interrupt code managing timers communication and other hardware interrupt and feed it into the execution of FORTE. In the start-up code for your µC you would need to create your device and then manage the execution of the CThread classes. For that you can applied different schemes. The simplest which we tried in a bachelor thesis was to use a cooperative scheduling approach. For a device with maybe one or two resources this should be pretty efficient. Unfortunately the resulting code was not nice enough to make it available.

But I'm happy to support you and and according means also to the public repository. I'm also available for a talk in skype or google hangouts if you like.

BR,
Alois

Re: Does FORTE run on systems without OS [message #1747331 is a reply to message #1747035] Sat, 12 November 2016 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Alois,

thank you for your fast reply. I think a cooperative scheduling should be not too difficult to implement. Is there a manual or other hints where I could find the "hooks" for the timer interrupts, execution of CThread classes etc.?
Thank you also for offering a videoconference on this topic; which could be very helpful for me. But before that I would like to learn a bit more about the internals in order to make a possible videoconference more effective.
My plan is to implement this kind of PLC on one core of an AURIX Tri-Core µC. Each core has 300MHz and I think it should have enough resources for this kind of PLC, right?
If I succeed in this job I could contribute my code to your project - thus maybe it could be helpful for others also.

Kind reagrds

Lothar
Re: Does FORTE run on systems without OS [message #1747358 is a reply to message #1747331] Sun, 13 November 2016 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Lothar,

unfortunately we curently have not much documentation available on this part of FORTE. I think I updated some parts when we reworked code for the last platforms we ported FORTE to. The best starting point would be the the rcX branch in our git repo. There we did several cleanups and improvemnts further reducing the porting effort. The code of interest for your endveors would be to look in one of the src/arch directories. I assume, rcx ThreadX or eCos would be better then Win32 or Posix.

In my "IEc 61499 Real-time Exeuction" book you can find in chapter 6 the description of the exeuction model and structure of FORTE. But I think if you have a first idea on the code structure the fasted would be a video session where I describe and show you the points for starting. Implemetnation and design decisions we can also discuss here in the forum.

I would be more then happy to have your contribution added to FORTE. Please note the Eclipse contribution guidlines [1].

Yes the CPU should have more then enough power to run FORTE. We did experiments with 32MHz arm7 and eCos as operating system and where able to perform real-time closed loop control.

Cheers,
Alois

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Contributing_via_Git
Re: Does FORTE run on systems without OS [message #1748165 is a reply to message #1747358] Sat, 19 November 2016 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw that 4Diac will be on the SPS/Drives fair in Nuernberg. I will also be there. Maybe/hopefully I find the time to stop by for some questions.

Best regards

Lothar
Re: Does FORTE run on systems without OS [message #1748181 is a reply to message #1748165] Sun, 20 November 2016 19:40 Go to previous message
would be great to have a talk.
Previous Topic:Broken download link?
Next Topic:Forte as Static Library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 20 12:26:09 GMT 2018