Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » URI re-direction with the self-extracting installer(Looking for a way to pass through command-line args to the installer)
URI re-direction with the self-extracting installer [message #1746171] Mon, 24 October 2016 13:00 Go to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Hi,

The Eclipse Installer provides two very handy capabilities on the Windows platform: self-extracting installer archive and URI redirection for testing setup changes locally before publishing them.

However, it is not so simple to mix the two. I was hoping that if I added command-line arguments like

-vmargs -Doomph.redirection.blahblah=...

to the invocation of the self-extracting installer executable then it might pass them through to the extract installer executable. It seems not to have done so.

Is there some way to pass along arguments or do I just have to switch to advanced mode and move the installer to a "permanent location" so that I can edit its INI file?

And what would be the level of interest in support pass-through of command-line arguments if it is not currently implemented?

Thanks,

Christian
Re: URI re-direction with the self-extracting installer [message #1746175 is a reply to message #1746171] Mon, 24 October 2016 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Christian,

There is no passing of any arguments from the Windows native extractor executable to the launched Java application. It would be useful, and perhaps not that difficult to support, but it needs to be implemented in the C code and then compiled to produce new extractors. That was working only on Eike's machine, his old machine, and not his new machine. So that's the first step, getting that horrible stuff to build again...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: URI re-direction with the self-extracting installer [message #1746179 is a reply to message #1746175] Mon, 24 October 2016 14:39 Go to previous message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Okay, thanks Ed.

Not wanting to raise new nightmares for anyone, I am happy with the "keep installer" work-around.

But, would you like me to raise an enhancement request?

cW
Previous Topic:Custom self-extracting installer doesn't find the JRE on Windows
Next Topic:Including JRE 7 with Neon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:53:21 GMT 2024