Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Parameter Dialog slow to load
Parameter Dialog slow to load [message #1745515] Tue, 11 October 2016 22:23
Mark Proe is currently offline Mark ProeFriend
I upgraded the BIRT Report Designer from 4.4 to 4.6, and I am now experiencing significant performance issues loading the parameter window when running reports. The report parameters contain a list box populated by a large data set (approximately 5000 rows). In BIRT 4.4 this window would usually appear in < 3 seconds. However, in BIRT 4.6 this window can take upwards of a minute to appear. (The data set will always come back instantly when I do a Data Set Preview, in either case.)

Looking through the BIRT source code, it appears the big difference is that Jetty was updated from 8.x to 9.x between these versions. In addition, there appears to have been a major change in how the Jetty server is invoked.... The report viewer is now run as a web application within Jetty, and the JSPs are now precompiled. Stepping through the code in debug, I can see that the main performance lag happens in ComboBoxParameterFragment_jsp where out.print(String) operations are occurring over and over again.

Can somebody explain why upgrading caused this performance degradation and tell me if there is workaround? This problem can easily be recreated with any new report by simply creating a list parameter populated with a simple flat file data set containing a large number of rows.

Previous Topic:javascript: toLocaleDateString and BIRT datetime functions
Next Topic:duplicate
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:52:36 GMT 2024