Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » org.eclipse.jdt.launching error(org.eclipse.jdt.launching error with Neon and Windows 10)
org.eclipse.jdt.launching error [message #1745514] Tue, 11 October 2016 22:22 Go to next message
Terry Kilshaw is currently offline Terry KilshawFriend
I had a functional development system with Eclipse Indigo on Windows XP.

I have moved to Eclipse Neon on Windows 10.

i have made all files accessible to my user who is also an administrator.

I pointed Neon at my old workspace and it brought in everything but I still get this error whenever I launch Eclipse.:

C:\eclipse_data\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.launching\.install.xml (Access is denied)

I have checked that the .install.xml file is editable and accessible all the way up the directory tree.

Here is the exception
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\eclipse_data\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.launching\.install.xml (Access is denied)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.LaunchingPlugin.writeInstallInfo(LaunchingPlugin.java:1082)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.LaunchingPlugin.access$0(LaunchingPlugin.java:1055)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.LaunchingPlugin$1.saving(LaunchingPlugin.java:550)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.executeLifecycle(SaveManager.java:389)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager$1.run(SaveManager.java:198)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.broadcastLifecycle(SaveManager.java:201)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.save(SaveManager.java:1186)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.save(Workspace.java:2283)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEWorkbenchAdvisor$4.run(IDEWorkbenchAdvisor.java:456)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)

And the Session Data:

eclipse.buildId=4.6.1.M20160907-1200
java.version=1.8.0_102
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_CA
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

Any idea what the problem is?

thanks,

Terry
Re: org.eclipse.jdt.launching error [message #1745567 is a reply to message #1745514] Wed, 12 October 2016 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

XP to Vista completely changed some aspects of the user file protection model.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\eclipse_data\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.launching\.install.xml (Access is denied)

suggests that you have a Windows protection problem, although ".install.xml" is also smelly.)

I suggest that you learn to use your new version of Windows before porting old applications and their old incompatible file schemes.

What you are doing probably should work, perhaps provided that you are an admin user, but you have almost certainly 'inherited' some bad file protections. Create new installations and working folders.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: org.eclipse.jdt.launching error [message #1748901 is a reply to message #1745567] Tue, 29 November 2016 22:05 Go to previous message
Terry Kilshaw is currently offline Terry KilshawFriend
Ed said:
What you are doing probably should work, perhaps provided that you are an admin user, but you have almost certainly 'inherited' some bad file protections. Create new installations and working folders.

Regards

Ed Willink

Ed,

appreciate your response. How do I "create new installations and working folders"?

Do you mean reinstall Eclipse or something else?

If so, then what?

many thanks,

Terry
Previous Topic:Is it possible to make Eclipse completely portable
Next Topic:Java Content Assist automatically inserts nonsens
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:51:47 GMT 2024